• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help me figure out squeaking noise

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The other day I noticed a squeaking noise coming from either the front or rear drivers side wheels.

It only starts to squeak after I've driven for a few miles and it will disapear when I step on the brake. So far, the car seems to track straight and brake correctly.

A couple things have recently occured that may have caused this:

- I just changed the front brake pads and the squeaking seemed to start shortly after that.

- A couple weeks ago while racing at the Autobahn, I spun out and went off the track.

My guess is that something is up with the brakes, or I damaged the wheel bearing / hub assembly when I went off the track.

I'm going to pull the wheels off and take a look on Thursday.

Any ideas what I should look for? Could it be something other than the brakes or wheel bearings?

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
Wiked03 said:
Wow, Todd aka 01 Sleeper is having a very similar noise, and ALSO just changed front brake pads!

Yes, I am having a similar problem with the passenger side making noise, but I am also having some sort of noise coming from the drivers side, I believe it is either a tie rod or bad bearing. I am bring it out to Hans later today to look at it. I will let you know what I find out.

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
nytebyte said:
Any ideas what I should look for? Could it be something other than the brakes or wheel bearings?
I know this may have (nothing) to do with your car,
but when we experienced a squeaking noise, the SVT Tech
couldn't even find it, turned out to be the exhaust system rubbing and
we fixed it asap.

Good Luck with finding out what it might be (hope its an easy fix) ;)

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
a damaged wheel bearing or hub bearing will make a humming sound when driving and will get louder when acceleration is added. Sounds like something is up with your brakes. Also if you just pad slaped the rotors they will make a funny sound until they mate with the new pads (under 100 miles). Also check out the clips and make sure they arn't grinding into the rotors! hope this helps :headbang:

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I can get the squeak to stop if I turn just slightly in one direction and I can make it worse if I turn in the other direction.

I sure hope it's something as simple as the clips.

Don't the new pads come with new clips already on them? I don't recall.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
nytebyte said:
I can get the squeak to stop if I turn just slightly in one direction and I can make it worse if I turn in the other direction.

I would have to hear the noise to find out where it is coming from. Where do u live maybe we can meet somewheres and i can give you a hand? It almost sounds like maybe a power steering problem, fords are very common to have werid sounds from the power steering pump, I have replaced countless amounts of them..how many miles are on the car?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Did you replace those little clips that hold the pads in? One of them may have shifted or may be causing the squeak.

It would probaly sound more like a rattle if the clip was missing and it would go away when you apply brakes.

nytebyte said:

There is a TSB on a steering wheel creak and can be corrected under warranty.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134905

http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5116

frdtch05gt said:
I've seen an issue with the '04 and older Mustang where the steering rack mounts get a little movement in them and start creaking when turning. The fix is replace the mounts, there's a TSB on it.

I can't seem to find the right TSB#, the dealer could find it w/ your VIN#.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
on my 00 v6, i have had a problem of squeaking over light bumps and while turning the wheel in one direction, not both. last year the front passenger side was doing this over light bumps and while turning right. they replaced a "END - SPINDLE ROD CONNECTING" and it solved the problem. a few weeks ago i took it on the the driver side. same problem, but only squeeked when turning left. replaced the same thing on that side, and fixed. it started out quiet, but over time became very loud.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
I would have to hear the noise to find out where it is coming from. Where do u live maybe we can meet somewheres and i can give you a hand? It almost sounds like maybe a power steering problem, fords are very common to have werid sounds from the power steering pump, I have replaced countless amounts of them..how many miles are on the car?

The squeaking noise has a direct relationship with how fast the wheels are turning. You can hear the squeak change frequency when the car speeds up and slows down.

Forcing the car to turn will change the squeak or make it go away. It goes away completely when applying the brake, even a little. Pretty sure it's not a power steering pump noise.

I'm up in the Libertyville / Mundelein area. The car as about 30K on it. I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning for any obvious problems with the brakes. I'll check the rear brakes on too just to be sure the clips are on correctly. I don't think there are any clips on the front pads.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
nytebyte said:
The squeaking noise has a direct relationship with how fast the wheels are turning. You can hear the squeak change frequency when the car speeds up and slows down.

Forcing the car to turn will change the squeak or make it go away. It goes away completely when applying the brake, even a little. Pretty sure it's not a power steering pump noise.

I'm up in the Libertyville / Mundelein area. The car as about 30K on it. I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning for any obvious problems with the brakes. I'll check the rear brakes on too just to be sure the clips are on correctly. I don't think there are any clips on the front pads.

pm sent

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Well, I took off the front drivers side wheel today and inspected everything. It all looked good. The hub spun freely, felt smooth, and made no noises.

Nothing was rubbing and the pads / rotors look good. I pulled the rotor off and sanded it, just in case.

Unfortunately, the squeak is still there and it now seems like it's the rear wheel. I can make the squeak go away if I just lightly tug on the e-brake handle. Even if I pull the handle just 1 inch, it goes away. Not sure why I didn't think of trying this before. I could've saved myself the hassle of pulling the rotor and sanding it. I sure hope they don't use Asbestos in brake pads anymore. Now I have to re-bed in the brakes. :(

I guess I'll yank the back wheel tomorrow and try to see what's up. At first glance, the brake pad clips look aligned, at least on the outboard pad. It sure seems like it has something to do with the brakes though.

Cars can be a pain in the ass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info