• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Compression test results *pics*

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
So after I started to hear my heads start ticking, oil smoking on start-ups, and a power loss at the top of 3rd gear in high RPM, I decided to do change my oil with reg. dino oil, clean my PVC and pull my plugs & do a compression check. So I Check out all of the plugs and the #4 plug was crack (my power loss in third), my #6 plug was covered in oil (my bad valve guide..the ticking). Remind you these plugs have less then 50 miles on them, sutton put them in when i got the car back from the dyno. FYI all plugs are NGK TR6's gaped at 27. Here are the results of the compression test.

Cyl. #1...154 PSI
Cyl. #2...147 PSI
Cyl. #3...156 PSI
Cyl. #4...158 PSI (this was the cyl with the cracked plug *see pic*)
Cyl. #5...169 PSI
Cyl. #6...165 PSI (this was the cyl with the oil fouled plug)
Cyl. #7...113 PSI :mad: :mad:
Cyl. #8...149 PSI

Im very lucky the porcelain didn't fall into my #4 cylinder, I don't think anything is up with #4... because the gap on the plug didn't change.....im leading to think it was a faulty plug or it was dropped somewhere along the lines of being installed into my car.

Number 6 seems too me to be were all of the blue smoke is coming from..like the bad valve guide??

Cyl. #7 is a my PITA, Im not too sure what is going on with that cylinder but im going to bring home a cylinder leak down tester from work and throw it on that cylinder and see where it is coming.

Air from Throttle plates, junk head, SCORED SAVED THE MOTOR!
Air from exhaust, junk head, SCORED SAVED THE MOTOR!
Air from oil cap, Junk motor, SCORED ITS STROKER TIME!

Here is a picture of the cracked porcelain in #4, like i said this cause my loss of power in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear in high RPM
PLUGCRACK.jpg

Here is a picture of #6, my bad valve guides.
plugoil.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
RD SNAKE said:
you really think 12.5 is high...i belive thats where a good "street tune" AF should be. Im not sure about timing. I dont have a Xcal2 or anything. I just had them reburn the SCT chip KB gave me.

Middle 11s is where most guys want their street tunes to be. 12.5 A/F + 19 lbs. of boost + 93 octane is really pushing the envelope.

At 19 lbs. of boost, you may want to think about running higher octane than 93 all the time.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Flyn high again said:
Middle 11s is where most guys want their street tunes to be. 12.5 A/F + 19 lbs. of boost + 93 octane is really pushing the envelope.

At 19 lbs. of boost, you may want to think about running higher octane than 93 all the time.

never said shit about high octane...just gave me a 93 tune....I don't think the tuning is the problem...ive always had blue smoke on start ups i just think the blower and tune enhanced the problems of the car...

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Flyn high again said:

:ditto:

- 12.5 A/F :nono:
- 19 psi and pump gas :nono:

When this KB went on I seem to remember hearing about running a stock MAF, running the canned KB Tune, high boost and pump gas and I mentioned to one or two people here that this car was a ticking time bomb.

When you start to approach 600 rwhp you're more like 650-675 at the crank. Sorry, but that's alot of power to make live on 93 octane from 4.6 liters. Some people have gotten lucky and some people haven't.

I mix 100 octane in on my street tune with 17 psi and an 11.5-11.8 A/F and I still think my motor is on borrowed time. :dunno:

voj

Feb 19, 2006
Air from Throttle plates, junk head, SCORED SAVED THE MOTOR! Air from exhaust, junk head, SCORED SAVED THE MOTOR! Air from oil cap, Junk motor, SCORED ITS STROKER TIME!

Did you bring the cylinder(s) up to tdc?
Air from intake=intake valve related. Air from exhaust=exhaust valve related.
air from the oil cap= piston/rings. :eek: So everything is not necessarily junk...

The other members have already gone over this well but, with 19psi, 93, and 12.5 as everyone else has stated is risky, especially the 93. I could imagine you being *ok* while running lean (~12.5 a/f) if you would have increased the octane to 100/110, or mixtures of both, but definitely highe than 93.

Also why would you consider going to a stroker (5.0) The stroke on the 4.6 is 3.543 inches which is quite a bit of stroke for such a small engine, and any more stroke would cause excessive wear on the ringlands, or so I hear.

:burnout:

Whitey04

Regular
Apr 2, 2006
113psi? that is definitly bad. Did you have the valve ticking problem before this? Because your valve guides are bad. Blue smoke on start up means your valve guides are leaking oil. Older camaro did this real bad. I've even seen some newer one do it. And a cracked plug means the cylinder is running to hot. Which can be cause by your lean tune. Lean means hot and you think your plug was bad I wish you could see the valves and piston head. That shit is probably burned up. But no knocking, you may have caught it in time.

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
You smoked a ring. I have a friend that had something like that happen with a nasty back fire, we tore down the motor and found the cylinder had a cracked piston, and chunks were missing. He had more compression than you. return to stock and drive out of the area for the work.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
voj said:
Did you bring the cylinder(s) up to tdc?
Air from intake=intake valve related. Air from exhaust=exhaust valve related.
air from the oil cap= piston/rings. :eek: So everything is not necessarily junk...

The other members have already gone over this well but, with 19psi, 93, and 12.5 as everyone else has stated is risky, especially the 93. I could imagine you being *ok* while running lean (~12.5 a/f) if you would have increased the octane to 100/110, or mixtures of both, but definitely highe than 93.

Also why would you consider going to a stroker (5.0) The stroke on the 4.6 is 3.543 inches which is quite a bit of stroke for such a small engine, and any more stroke would cause excessive wear on the ringlands, or so I hear.

:burnout:

yes i am awear that everything has to be at DTC.....i called VT today and they said a 5.0 stoker would be a good deal..

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Whitey04 said:
113psi? that is definitly bad. Did you have the valve ticking problem before this? Because your valve guides are bad. Blue smoke on start up means your valve guides are leaking oil. Older camaro did this real bad. I've even seen some newer one do it. And a cracked plug means the cylinder is running to hot. Which can be cause by your lean tune. Lean means hot and you think your plug was bad I wish you could see the valves and piston head. That shit is probably burned up. But no knocking, you may have caught it in time.

I Had the blue smoke on start ups when it was stock..ford did nothing with this porblem. It just said ticking from the guides

FYI I looked at the dyno sheet and the AF does seem to be at 12..i just glanced at it and looked like 12.5 to me for some reason

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info