• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just bought a Contour svt!

May 6, 2006
yup just bought my first SVT... a '98 contour svt (torredor red). It was great cept that i just had the whole catalyc converter replaced the first week..but the dealership payed for it so! Other wise im really happy with it! Pics soon!
MY brother had a 99 contour svt that had a lot of money into it, it was tropical green with the factory color high end wing..rear lights (except ends) were painted to match the car, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N, B&M short shifter, and a 2 grand audio system. But he let off cruize..going around a corner in the snow..and he totalled it..RIP..i plan to be a little nicer then he was!!Im sure ill be on here askin questions n stuff..so be prepared! :headbang:

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
cool, now i am not one of the only ones on the site. my csvt is being a bitch right now and always has been. i am getting really bad suspension noises up front and is affecting the steering. they hate to be dragraced. damn wheel hop! blew up the diff and it needed a clutch about a month after i bought it.

its a fun car but i wish i would have bought somthing else. it is cool though because you never see these things so its nice to be different and stand out in the crowd. one thing i have always hated is that i look like a sport compact enthusiast by driving this car but i am on the completely other end.

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
maniak said:
cool, now i am not one of the only ones on the site. my csvt is being a bitch right now and always has been. i am getting really bad suspension noises up front and is affecting the steering. they hate to be dragraced. damn wheel hop! blew up the diff and it needed a clutch about a month after i bought it.

its a fun car but i wish i would have bought somthing else. it is cool though because you never see these things so its nice to be different and stand out in the crowd. one thing i have always hated is that i look like a sport compact enthusiast by driving this car but i am on the completely other end.

You probably have worn tie rod ends or ball joints. Tie rod ends are a common wear item on the Contour. Also, beware of the water pump on the v6's, they fail sometime after 60k usually.

May 6, 2006
I can relate

maniak said:

I had an extended test drive..from the dealership for about 4 days..it was good..cept air conditioning was warm..and the check engine light came on..they checked it..and said it was the catalyc converter..and wouldnt effect my driving..just gas milege..and it would be 1200 to fix
Well after i payed for it..then i washed it..and was on the way to autozone..and it freakin died :mad: ..i called and said wtf..why would it die..well it got so clogged up..that it blocked the flow..so after i was pissed..and i was like come on i just pulled of the lot..so they replaced it(dual converters plus header)..i got it a week back (had a 03 taurus rental :( ) it was fine.. and i only payed 186 bucks..cept the freakin check engine light was on and they supposidly fixed the air..well the air was still shitty..and so i drove it for a couple days..then it would occasionally sputter at low RPM's..and if i didnt give it gas it would die..so i called them pissed as ever..and i was like what the hell..and ifigured it was the IAC..but they checked it..and i guess they didnt hook up the o2 sensor completely or sumthing..and they said they would not fix the air again..but would for 350..but they already supposidly fixed it...so people beware the dealership is www.lindquistford.com they suck badly..they dont want to help me out ne more. because they would be loosing money..grr.. but now i finally got it back...hopefully no more mishaps n e time soon..or else this college student will be broke..haha

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
frdtch05gt said:
You probably have worn tie rod ends or ball joints. Tie rod ends are a common wear item on the Contour. Also, beware of the water pump on the v6's, they fail sometime after 60k usually.

I was actually thinking ball joints myself. i think the water pump was replaced, not sure though.

mine is actually for sale if anyone is interested.

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
does anyone know how these contour's compare to the svt focus's?
Yep - I had a 98 SVTC and now have a 03SVTF
The biggest differences is that the V6 actually has low end tq and with a good 1,2 shift gets off the line and goes:p The SVTF has more on the top end (smaller & lighter and rpms to 7400).
I miss the 98 - extra space of 4 doors (but not really a big car) and a real good looking design along with good power #'s made it a fun car! Always said if I find a low mile 2K SVTC I would pick it up - a few engine/suspension mods and a good tune = Zoom Zoom
:alcoholic

countour'98

Aug 1, 2007
better?

Yep - I had a 98 SVTC and now have a 03SVTF
The biggest differences is that the V6 actually has low end tq and with a good 1,2 shift gets off the line and goes:p The SVTF has more on the top end (smaller & lighter and rpms to 7400).
I miss the 98 - extra space of 4 doors (but not really a big car) and a real good looking design along with good power #'s made it a fun car! Always said if I find a low mile 2K SVTC I would pick it up - a few engine/suspension mods and a good tune = Zoom Zoom
:alcoholic
So the big question is which performs better in turns and straight aways? My dad has a regular zx3 but im trying to get him the svt, should i recomend?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info