• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Step by step Gen 1 project.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Here is the continuation of the thread I started in the Show and Shine section about the Lightning I picked up this Spring. I've been slowly working all the bugs out of it while using it as a daily driver and everything is coming along pretty good so far.

Heres a few more pics of the truck. One photo shows the nearly finished dent on the driver's side of the bed. I couldnt find a repair panel for this spot, so I ended up cutting the dent out and welding a piece of sheetmetal in it's place.
The other photo shows the Speedliner spray in bedliner I shot in there. This stuff is pretty good, it's alot more durable than Rhino Liner is. I'm glad I chose to spray their bedliner out of my shop instead of Rhino or Line-X.
In a day or two I will get the drivers side of the bed finished and paint the new tailgate also. From there I will tackle the inside of the cab by pulling the carpet and putting some dynamat down to help control noise a little better. The stock speakers are coming out for something of better quality, then the carpet will go back in after a good washing. I've also got a new jumpseat from a 05 F150 that I will fab to fit between the seats in place of the existing console.
Attached Images

Attachments

• P1010134.JPG
    P1010134.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 140
  • P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010128.JPG
    P1010128.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 21

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
The truck had a problem with the speedometer needle bouncing, which is quite common with these trucks. I replaced the sensor in the axle hoping this would cure the problem, but unfortunately it didnt. After popping the cover off the diff I discovered the ABS ring was missing nearly a dozen teeth off of it, thus causing the bouncing needle. After completely pulling the diff out to replace the ring and reassembling everything the problem was fixed. I also killed two birds with one stone doing this because everytime I would hit the brakes the pedal would shake and a ticking noise would come from near the brake booster. After replacing the ABS ring, the problem disappeared.
Next was the rust repair around the wheelwells. Since the original tailgate was trashed I used my plasma cutter to cut repair panels to match the contour of the wheelwell and welded them in place after cutting the rust off. The driver's side valve cover was leaking quite nasty so it was pulled off, sandblasted and then powdercoated a polished aluminum color before being put back on.

Attachments

• P1010200.JPG
    P1010200.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010167.JPG
    P1010167.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010201.JPG
    P1010201.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010205.JPG
    P1010205.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 24

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Next was the front bumper. There was a couple coats of spray paint on the thing which was flaking off everywhere. The paint was stripped and the bumper repainted.
A set of bedcaps were ordered from Summit to help dress up the look of the bed a little bit. They look good with the bedliner since the color and texture of both of them are nearly identical.
I've got a 3" cat-back from Summit on it's way also. It is meant for use on the regular F-150 with the single in, dual out setup. I'm going to e-bay the muffler from this kit and use the tailpipes and hangers for my exhaust. I'll just have to bend a few pipes to get everything to hook up.

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010203.JPG
    P1010203.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 20

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Heres the 3" cat back from Summit that I "rigged" to fit on my truck. Trying to get both pipes over the axle was a pain in the ass, but theyre on there now. I still dont have any mufflers on it so it is still loud, the noise is just moved to the back of the truck instead of underneath the cab now. Now that it is quiet every underhood noise is noticeable and there are two sounds that have got me concerned. When under acceleration in third the engine starts rattling like a can of marbles on the passenger side, and there is a humming noise that seems to be coming from the transmission. The tranny noise only happens under acceleration, tap the gas it hums, let off it goes away. I can even feel it through the steering wheel and gas pedal when it happens.

The console for the interior is coming along nicely. There is just a little welding I have to do to the bracket to complete it and it will be ready to bolt on. I'm also going to see about getting some mufflers on the truck to quiet it down a little. I've gotten the attenion of the local law enforcement a few times already so i dont want to push my luck on this.

Attachments

• P1010213.jpg
    P1010213.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010237.jpg
    P1010237.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 20

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Mean Mr Mustang said:
By the end of the week I'll try to get going on the interior and possibly repair and repaint the back bumper. The tailgate needs some paint and there are still some engine gremlins that need to be sorted out. More updates to follow soon.
I will keep an eye on this thread, love to see a project go from start to finish,
alot of headaches along the way, but it makes us love our vehicles even more
when we do them ourself ;)

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
CobraSusie said:
I will keep an eye on this thread, love to see a project go from start to finish,
alot of headaches along the way, but it makes us love our vehicles even more
when we do them ourself ;)

This is Jeff's old truck. I've been using it as a daily driver and working on it in the evenings and weekends when I get time. Sometimes it sucks being nit-picky about everything because when I fix one thing I tend to find 2 more things wrong and end up putting more time into it than what was planned. My list of things to do on this truck just keeps growing while my poor Cobra is waiting for me to get it finished also. :(

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
10th03cobra said:
Looking good Joe....

That exhaust looks bitchen... :biggthump

The exhaust came out pretty good, considering that there is 6" worth of pipe shoved over the rear axle. The tailpipes are a little crooked, but that is an easy fix. After looking at them for a few minutes the galvanized color just doesnt seem to do it, so I will see if I can find some chrome pipes to replace them with.

Not a whole lot got done to the truck over the weekend since I finally got my ass in gear and put the new k-member and headers on the Cobra. That is one big headache that is finally out of the way. :woot:

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Not a whole lot of progress this week. I took one of the old air cleaners from my Cobra and installed it in place of the factory air cleaner.
The old tires got disposed of by inflating them to almost 60 psi then doing a couple burnouts until one of them popped. After the festivities were over and the smoke cleared I took the old tires and rims off to get new tires put on.

Attachments

• P1010256.JPG
    P1010256.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010257.JPG
    P1010257.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 18

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Nothing much as far as progress goes with this truck over the last several months, just a new fuel pump in the front tank and a rollpan, but there are a whole lot of things that are about to happen with it.
First is the paint. I have enough Sonic Blue and Prowler Orange to shoot the truck. I just havent decided which color to use yet. I'm going to remove the bed to completely shoot the truck, possibly remove the front tank and sump the rear, then the engine and tranny are coming out for a 1.8 Vtech and some naws.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
maniak said:
i LOVE 1st gen lightnings!! i almost traded my notch for one when i had to sell the notch but i still had the contour. it was black as well!!

keep us updated, i like the project!

what are your motor plans?

I have three options right now:
Rebuild the 460 I have sitting around collecting dust.
Rebuild the 5.4 Navigator engine I have sitting around collecting dust.
Put my 408 turbo motor in the L instead of my Mustang.

I was kind of leaning towards the big block for reliable and cheap power...

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Mean Mr Mustang said:
I have three options right now:
Rebuild the 460 I have sitting around collecting dust.
Rebuild the 5.4 Navigator engine I have sitting around collecting dust.
Put my 408 turbo motor in the L instead of my Mustang.

I was kind of leaning towards the big block for reliable and cheap power...

5.4 navi motor. do a nice 11:1 motor and make 450whp and still get 20mpg :D

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
MGT2002 said:
5.4 navi motor. do a nice 11:1 motor and make 450whp and still get 20mpg :D

That thought has run through my mind a few times. The 5.4 is gonna cost some bucks to put in the truck, plus it would make a good spare in case I blow the engine in the Cobra. It would definitely add to the coolness factor having it in the Lightning though.
I already have a brand new crank, intake, used block and tons of other parts lying around for the 460. I could get it all together for next to nothing and put down enough hp and torque to reverse the earth's rotation...

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
Mean Mr Mustang said:
That thought has run through my mind a few times. The 5.4 is gonna cost some bucks to put in the truck, plus it would make a good spare in case I blow the engine in the Cobra. It would definitely add to the coolness factor having it in the Lightning though.
I already have a brand new crank, intake, used block and tons of other parts lying around for the 460. I could get it all together for next to nothing and put down enough hp and torque to reverse the earth's rotation...

do the 460, it will be a torque monster!!! who cares about mileage, its a truck!!
plus, its way cheaper as you already stated.

stay with pushrod power :headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info