• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Article on 5W20 oil - convincing to use it?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
https://www.fleet.ford.com/FFH/Why5W20Oil05_23_06.asp?cid=ffhg0523063&News=Government

Ford Fleet Highlights
Commercial/Rental/Government E-News
May 23, 2006

Why 5W20 Oil?

5W-20 oil is a thinner oil with lighter viscosity that creates less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain. Additionally, the oil pump can pump thinner oil more easily, improving oil circulation. Any increase in fuel economy may not be noticed by the average motorist. Machined internal engine parts are more precise than the parts of 20 years ago. This means that clearances between moving parts are smaller and more exact. Thinner oil such as 5W-20 can flow more freely through the engine while still filling the spaces. Thicker oil is harder to push through the spaces between the parts. This causes the oil pump to work harder, which in turn increases oil pressure while simultaneously decreasing oil volume. A lack of oil volume results in a decrease of lubrication and cooling, which may decrease engine part life.

The lighter viscosity of 5W-20 oil flows faster at start-up compared to higher viscosity oils, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster. Valvetrain components at the top of the engine require immediate lubrication at start-up.

Oil additives are not recommended as noted in the owners manual. The American Petroleum Institute (API) certifies that oils such as Motorcraft 5W-20 already contain the necessary additives for friction, detergent, etc... The addition of additives may interfere and react with the additives already present in the certified oil.

Then there's this article AGAINST 5W20 oil:

http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Mystic Terminator said:
How about all those people that change thier oil/filter all the time w/o pre filling the oil filter? Always nice to run a car w/ no oil presure for several seconds.

I never put oil in my filter....WTF does that mean? I always use Ford 5-20 though. I only hit it with 5-30 on the first oil change but the "parts troll" at Ford told me to use the Ford oil for warranty and besides it's better.

I use nothing between oil changes and don't ever get near 3000...more like 4000-5000 I get lazy.....J/K...I never make it past 2800, no shit.

I can just see me putting the filter on full of oil, THAT'S gonn be fun.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info