• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Whipple install help.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
mktbull said:
I'm installing a new whipple with stock 3.5 pulley, what lower pulley you guys recommend, I was thinking #4lb but that will push me into 17-18 psi, it that still safe on 93 octane?

I have a 4 pound lower and don't feel safe unless I mix a little 100 octane in. If you are 100% set on running 93 octane I would go with the 2 pound lower.

FYI, I see 18 psi in cool air with my 4 pound lower/3.5 upper.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
mktbull said:
Would octane booster work? like that 108 stuff.

NO!

IMO, you should either:

- mix with 100 octane (only need 2-3 gallons per tank) with a "street" tune
- mix with Torco
- run a 2 pound lower.

My $0.02.

P.S. - Alot of guys' cars live with 17-18 psi and 93 octane, but I'm on the conservative side.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
SLASH said:
oh yea...forgot the spray...hahahaha

i run a safe tune and i do usually use 1/4 to 1/2 tank 100 octane.

*Whew*, that's more like it.

I usually never hear 21 psi and 93 octane in the same sentence unless somebody's talking about blowing their motor up. :eek:

Maybe I'm just a pussy, I don't feel comfortable on pure 93 octane at 17-18 psi on what is also a "safe" tune.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
SLASH said:
it actually runs better without the 100??!! i just started using it

The extra octane helps prevent detonation so it allows you to run more boost or timing without the engine going BANG. The way the engine runs is determined by many factors including your tune, plugs and gap, fuel delivery, air intake, etc.

There is quite a bit of discussion on how much boost and timing is safe on 93 and you are right at the limits. Considering you're also spraying, you're past the limits and your motor is living on borrowed time with 93 octane.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Flyn high again said:
The extra octane helps prevent detonation so it allows you to run more boost or timing without the engine going BANG. The way the engine runs is determined by many factors including your tune, plugs and gap, fuel delivery, air intake, etc.

There is quite a bit of discussion on how much boost and timing is safe on 93 and you are right at the limits. Considering you're also spraying, you're past the limits and your motor is living on borrowed time with 93 octane.

i think that at my point. the spray will actually help not harm. im just running 35-50 dry pre-maf. as far as the setup i have. sutton reccomended and put it together for me (minus spray) and tuned it(600@about 11.9-12.0)...so i dont think they would intentionally put together a car that was dangerous. i have also done extra cooling mods since their install. if it goes it goes...nothing i can do about it. thats the chance we take when we mod our cars...i just have noticed that my car seems to run at lower rpm's better with only 93 in it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info