• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

first mod??

V

venmousracer

well when I had my 99 cobra and it was stone stock back in 99 I ran 13.50's with it @ 103-04mph, then the mods,

CAI,
off road x-pipe
stock catback
4.30 gear
short thro shifter
drag radials
and Clutch kit
I was running 12.60's at 108mph with the IRS, sounded pretty loud with the off road x-pipe and stock catback....

If I were to do it again and keep the car stock I would do this,

Solid rear with either a 4.56 gear or 4.88 gear
long tube headers
off road x-pipe
Catback
CAI
clutch
shifter
and custom tune.
Should run low low 12's high 11's if you can drive and hook up........ But what do I know. I am just a beaner....Eddie----------------------------

IMPORTSLAYER

Regular
Mar 10, 2006
Go with 4:10 's first. You will feel like you added 50 hp and it still wont kill your wallet @ the gas pump. If you go with 4:30's you wont want to be doing much highway driving . W/ 4:10 I am @ 3,000 rpm @ 80 mph. Not bad. I think with 4:30's you would be somewhere around 4,000 rpm @ 80 mph give or take. So if you want to build an all around car bad ass on the hwy still has a nice top end and will launch off the line go 4:10. WHETEVER YOU DO DO NOT PUT 3.73's IN YOUR CAR YOU ARE GUARNTEED TO BE UNHAPPY. If you had a 5.0 maybe 373 but you have a higher reving motor in the 4.6 DOHC COBRA motor. After this you will need some sticky 315's bfg drag radials so that you put every ounce of power to the pavement. Spining out is a waste of time. You need to hook and go. After this get into your exhaust. When you do your exhaust no matter what you read or hear, DO NOT USE HIGH FLOW CATS. Go with an off road h pipe/no cats (much less $ also ) :biggthump . A-it sounds Bad ass. B-the flow is awesome. C-your car will pass emmissions. Been there done that. Always pass with a big thumbs up and a smile. Never even looked under the car. Flowmaster 40 series mufflers sound strait up BAD ASS. BBK under drive pullies next. Its a cheap & easy 10-15 hp. Cold air kit. And last a diablo tune.This combo will put your car around 12.7's if you know how to drive.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
IMPORTSLAYER said:
If you go with 4:30's you wont want to be doing much highway driving . W/ 4:10 I am @ 3,000 rpm @ 80 mph. Not bad. I think with 4:30's you would be somewhere around 4,000 rpm @ 80 mph give or take.

Sorry, but you are way off on your numbers here. If you don't know the numbers, please don't throw them out there. Here is the true calculated numbers on gears. Just so you know I'm not making these numbers up, I'm using the last calculator on this page. It is accurate and real world, not made up numbers: http://www.mustangworks.com/analyzer.html

4.10 - 2882 RPM @ 80 MPH
4.30 - 3022 RPM @ 80 MPH
4.56 - 3205 RPM @ 80 MPH

Now I hardly think this is enought to KILL gas milage or prevent highway driving. The 4.10 is just about the WORST gear you can put in a 4V cobra. On a stockish cobra you are going to be trapping about 100-101 MPH at the track. Using the calculator above you will see that leaving it in 3rd gear will result in 7000+ RPM at the traps...this is way past the optimal shift point in a N/A stock cobra. So this results in shifting to 4th just before the end of the track, this hurts ET.

I've used both a 4.30 and a 4.56 in my car. Both worked well, but the 4.56 is by far the best gear for a N/A bolt on cobra. Last summer with the supercharger on the car I took a 600 mile road trip, on the highway, going noting less than 80 MPH. The car got 25 MPH.

Now for mods I would suggest....
-Shifter, the T45s in these cars are like glass the shifter will help it last if the stops are set.
-Gear
-Exhaust - Off road or high flow cated mid pipe. And a cat back
-Underdrive Pulleys
-Timing adjuster
- Cold Air intake

The chip isn't really needed on these cars. They will usually find a couple HP, but not really enough to justify their costs.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
IMPORTSLAYER said:
Go with 4:10 's first. You will feel like you added 50 hp and it still wont kill your wallet @ the gas pump. If you go with 4:30's you wont want to be doing much highway driving . W/ 4:10 I am @ 3,000 rpm @ 80 mph. Not bad. I think with 4:30's you would be somewhere around 4,000 rpm @ 80 mph give or take.
Ahem, the switch from 4.10s to 4.30s only adds 200rpms. 4.30s are the perfect gear for a stockish NA 4V IMO

EDIT - I see Shane beat me to the punch with the Gear RPMs

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
hj16 said:
Ahem, the switch from 4.10s to 4.30s only adds 200rpms. 4.30s are the perfect gear for a stockish NA 4V IMO

I think the 4.56 is actually the better gear choice if you are going to be making some 1/4 mile passes in the car. It gets the car to trap right in it's power band. It traps about 6400 in a stock cobra. I think I trap about 6600-6700 going 111 or so MPH.
But I think it is also great daily driving. You can easily take off in 2nd gear without stressing the clutch. And you can pass on the highway with out shifting out of 5th and still feel like you have some grunt.

But I understand that some people will fear the gear no matter what you tell them.

IMPORTSLAYER

Regular
Mar 10, 2006
My bad on the rpm call. I did say give or take. I understand that thats just a littel too much give and take :alcoholic . I do still feel that a 4.10 is still the best all around gear. Obviously your looking to go fast for 1/4 mile. Thats great if that is all your going for and if that gets your rocks off. I on the other hand enjoy running a respectable time at the track on Sat. and then go to an SCCA event on Sun. With any type of lower gear than 4.10 on 99 % of all SCCA tracks your only going to be able to pull out of the turns harder,make more pits for fuel and lose top end,resulting in a last place finish at Road America. Its all about strait line performance as well as rippin a turn and pullin a G. Its only my opinion. I know many others who agree that 4.10,s match up well with the 4v motor for all around performance. Check out the July 2006 5.O PAGE 86. Sit back and read about a 10 second cobra with a bone stock motor basic bolt on's (as we have already suggested) and a small 125 shot of NOZ. Try 10.8's with 4.10's out back. Or maybe you would enjoy another good source for us Mustang folk .July 2006 Modified Mustangs page 118. A 97 COBRA (Owned by Fords performance test driver Don Prudhomme )
He also runs 4.10 to be rewarded by a 10 second time slip. Yah......... 4.10's arent a bad way to go afterall.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
IMPORTSLAYER said:
My bad on the rpm call. I did say give or take. I understand that thats just a littel too much give and take :alcoholic . I do still feel that a 4.10 is still the best all around gear. Obviously your looking to go fast for 1/4 mile. Thats great if that is all your going for and if that gets your rocks off. I on the other hand enjoy running a respectable time at the track on Sat. and then go to an SCCA event on Sun. With any type of lower gear than 4.10 on 99 % of all SCCA tracks your only going to be able to pull out of the turns harder,make more pits for fuel and lose top end,resulting in a last place finish at Road America. Its all about strait line performance as well as rippin a turn and pullin a G. Its only my opinion. I know many others who agree that 4.10,s match up well with the 4v motor for all around performance. Check out the July 2006 5.O PAGE 86. Sit back and read about a 10 second cobra with a bone stock motor basic bolt on's (as we have already suggested) and a small 125 shot of NOZ. Try 10.8's with 4.10's out back. Or maybe you would enjoy another good source for us Mustang folk .July 2006 Modified Mustangs page 118. A 97 COBRA (Owned by Fords performance test driver Don Prudhomme )
He also runs 4.10 to be rewarded by a 10 second time slip. Yah......... 4.10's arent a bad way to go afterall.

Shane97Cobra doesn't need to buy magazines to read about 10 second timeslips, he's got a few of his own. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info