• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

People who did the solid rear swap....in here!

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I'm still contemplating getting the IRS to solid swap....to the people that did the swap, how do you like it so far? Is there a significant change in ride quality and street handling over the IRS? If you had to do it all over again, would you?? I haven't committed to it yet because I don't race for money and I don't spend too much time at the track, but that's mainly because I'm afraid of grenading the IRS....well, what do ya say?

-Mike

V

venmousracer

Well Joey that is why you have your car setup for drag racing. I on the other hand have my car setup for handeling and it is alot better than the IRS was, alot more predictable. Depends on the shocks and springs you run. That is what is going to set you up with the ride quality. I run this. 99 solid rear, weight jacker lower control arms with spherical busings, upper control arms with heim joints, spherical axle housing bushings, H&R red racing lowering springs with bilistein race shocks and maximum racing panard bar no tail pipes and 18x12 ccw 505'A's with a bfg 345/30/18 drag radial...Eddie

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
dont worry about blowing the irs man, if you get into racing alot you will blow it. its just a matter of time. all it takes is a real good drag radial and a hard enough launch. just get the billetflow irs brace. the 3 diff bushings. subframe bushings, shocks, springs, and the lvl 2 shafts and have some piece of mind when you launch hard :biggthump

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I would be willing to swap my solid rearend with 10K miles for an IRS, but whom ever wanted to do the swap would have to make it worth it. I have a stock rearend with motive 4.10 gears. Lets hear some offers.. :biggthump I know this is a long shot, but if I could get someone with an 04 screaming yellow cobra that wanted to swap rearends and trunklids, I'd be all for that. Or, I would love a set of cobra seats for my trouble....LOL I know its a stretch, but if you want a solid rearend bad enough it may not be that big of a deal.

Brian

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
I have been very happy with the live axle swap.

2003 Mustang GT Housing
3.73 Gear
Strange 31 Spline Axles
Eaton 31 Spline POSI
Strange 10-Way Shocks
Bullit Springs
Metco Adjustable UCAs
Metco LCAs
2003 Mustang Sway Bar

Have been happy so far.
Will be changing to the
H&R Race Springs soon.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
If you set it up correctly it will be fine. If you cheap out on your setup it will suck.

Hey, how 'bout a rant?

I disagree with the solids are only for drag car theory. I read that shit on every board every time this question comes up and I wonder how many of those people have setup solid axle cars before. There are zillions of solid axle GTs and Mach 1s out on the road that handle just fine- or do all of those suck on the street, too.

If you put good shocks/struts, springs, and rims/tires on a solid car it will corner like a mofo and the ride doesn't suck. If you spend any time driving a IRS car and a solid car with a good suspension and tires the only time you really notice the difference is in bumpy corners and HARD breaking in corners. The rest of the time the difference is negligible. Oh, except for the lack of wheel hop and the loss of 125 pounds.

This issue isn't with the ride quality or drag racing. The real issues are the cost and loss of resale value. If you got $2000 (after the sale of your IRS) and plan on keeping the car for a while then go for it.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
Wharf Rat said:
If you set it up correctly it will be fine. If you cheap out on your setup it will suck.

Hey, how 'bout a rant?

I disagree with the solids are only for drag car theory. I read that shit on every board every time this question comes up and I wonder how many of those people have setup solid axle cars before. There are zillions of solid axle GTs and Mach 1s out on the road that handle just fine- or do all of those suck on the street, too.

If you put good shocks/struts, springs, and rims/tires on a solid car it will corner like a mofo and the ride doesn't suck. If you spend any time driving a IRS car and a solid car with a good suspension and tires the only time you really notice the difference is in bumpy corners and HARD breaking in corners. The rest of the time the difference is negligible. Oh, except for the lack of wheel hop and the loss of 125 pounds.

This issue isn't with the ride quality or drag racing. The real issues are the cost and loss of resale value. If you got $2000 (after the sale of your IRS) and plan on keeping the car for a while then go for it.

That was the answer I was looking for...I gotta contemplate this a little more, but this is definately a possibility! Thanks everyone!

-Mike

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
SonicBlur said:
That was the answer I was looking for...I gotta contemplate this a little more, but this is definately a possibility! Thanks everyone!

-Mike

There's a guy on ModularFords.com who popped wheelies all the time with stock IRS's and MJ's Brace, go figure.

When racing the IRS you just have to have some "special" kind of delivery with the clutch that I have YET to figure out, but I am NOT giving up.

Now that my mods are finished I am concentrating on driving, and out here on the streets, I want an IRS.......period.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
See, the cost of Level 5's and SRA is similar and I have heard that if you have to choose, you're better off going SRA because the Level 5's are strong but still sucesptible to snapping. Now I also know that the snapping half-shafts usually comes from when the rear hops a lot...I still haven't made a decision as to what to do, but I am starting to like the Level 5 idea too.

-Mike

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
SonicBlur said:
I'm still contemplating getting the IRS to solid swap....to the people that did the swap, how do you like it so far? Is there a significant change in ride quality and street handling over the IRS? If you had to do it all over again, would you?? I haven't committed to it yet because I don't race for money and I don't spend too much time at the track, but that's mainly because I'm afraid of grenading the IRS....well, what do ya say?

-Mike

You hardly ever go to the track. Why not just leave well enough alone? :dunno: Carl is still on his stock set as are many others with similar power levels.

IMO, it's a waste for the way you currently use your car.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
SonicBlur said:

-Mike

The IRS isn't really that fragile.... at least mine hasn't been.

I have over 100 sticky tire launches and 32k wheelhopping miles on my stock shafts.

I don't plan to not make any upgrades until something actually breaks. At this point, even if I snap a halfshaft, I will be replacing it with a stocker.

If I grenade the whole thing, THEN I will look at a SRA.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
I've been contemplating doing the swap also.
One of the biggest reasons why people seem to do this is for the weight reduction along with the extra durability you add with the solid axle. What about reducing the weight of the IRS assembly while strenghtening it at the same time? Is there anything out there that will give both benefits to the IRS setup?

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
Mean Mr Mustang said:
I've been contemplating doing the swap also.
One of the biggest reasons why people seem to do this is for the weight reduction along with the extra durability you add with the solid axle. What about reducing the weight of the IRS assembly while strenghtening it at the same time? Is there anything out there that will give both benefits to the IRS setup?

maximum motor sports makes a whole new subframe, control arms, everything. be preparred to spend if you want it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info