• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

people that know about rear diffs. in here please!

cyac5l8trfcar

{'''}o_o{'''}
Sep 12, 2005
WhtSuperStang said:
does the auburn pro come in a 28 spline set up or do i need to upgrade to 31 spline axles..

also what do u mean when u said it had a little bit of a growl?

around turns at really slow speeds i.e. mcdonalds drive through. You could hear a growl comming from the back. Auburn said it was the clutches and there fine. anything over 10mph and it's in audible.

I got mine in 28 spline, but that was for a chevy. pick up you'r summit or jegs catalog. it's a 8.8" there almost all the same.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
Do yourself a favor and swing for the 31 spline axles at the same time if you possibly can. The stock Ford 28 spline axles are know to be major weak points in our driveline. I have seen them break on drag radial many time. Usually you will see it once there a clutch that is more aggressive than stock.

If you want the toughest carrier out there hands down the Detroit C-Locker is the only way to go. It will take anything you throw at it. I have run the same one for 4 years now, I launch the car at 6500-7000 RPM on slicks and run 60' times into the low 1.40 with it. The bad....it is noisey and doesn't have the best street manners.

The Tru-trac that larry mentioned is another great carrier. Also made by Detroit locker, but this one has worm gears in the case instead of the dog ring gears that the Locker has. So you don't have the noise and the jerky behavior on the street like the locker. This also means no clutch packs like most limited slip carriers that need to be rebuilt every so often. I had one for a short time and loved it. It broke when the person installing my gear didn't clean out the housing well and metal floated in the diff and chewed it up.

Eaton = JUNK. That is just my opinion. Seen several blow up at the track when mixed w/ a sticky tire. Most w/in the first 10 passes. I'm sure they are a good street diff though. I just base all my info on real world track info.

Auburn - No personal experience. But have heard mixed reviews. Lots of guys have had great luck w/ them. Others say they are time bombs. Guess it just depends on your use again.

Ford HD 31 spline carrier - This the the super budget route. Have seen this carrier go into the 9s on cars. Can be had used online for under $150, some times under $100. Just have the cluch packs rebuilt w/ a extra disk and you should be good to go.

Shane

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
mustangmike2003 said:
detriot locker, hands down the strongest diff you can buy besides a spool. Dont know if you would want it in full street car though. What kind of tires do you run at the track?

i run the m/t drag radials

Boost12 said:
Well if you need a quick fix I have a stock Diff out of a 2000 Mustang GT that works perfect that I will sell you for really cheap. PM me if intrested and good luck none the less :biggthump

thanks ill definately keep that in mind

gnxs said:
I gave you my opinion at the track......Detroit True-Trac.
thanks larry, remember u telling me about that but i could remember the exact name....does your make noise when u drive?

Shane97Cobra said:
Do yourself a favor and swing for the 31 spline axles at the same time if you possibly can. The stock Ford 28 spline axles are know to be major weak points in our driveline. I have seen them break on drag radial many time. Usually you will see it once there a clutch that is more aggressive than stock.

If you want the toughest carrier out there hands down the Detroit C-Locker is the only way to go. It will take anything you throw at it. I have run the same one for 4 years now, I launch the car at 6500-7000 RPM on slicks and run 60' times into the low 1.40 with it. The bad....it is noisey and doesn't have the best street manners.

The Tru-trac that larry mentioned is another great carrier. Also made by Detroit locker, but this one has worm gears in the case instead of the dog ring gears that the Locker has. So you don't have the noise and the jerky behavior on the street like the locker. This also means no clutch packs like most limited slip carriers that need to be rebuilt every so often. I had one for a short time and loved it. It broke when the person installing my gear didn't clean out the housing well and metal floated in the diff and chewed it up.

Eaton = JUNK. That is just my opinion. Seen several blow up at the track when mixed w/ a sticky tire. Most w/in the first 10 passes. I'm sure they are a good street diff though. I just base all my info on real world track info.

Auburn - No personal experience. But have heard mixed reviews. Lots of guys have had great luck w/ them. Others say they are time bombs. Guess it just depends on your use again.

Ford HD 31 spline carrier - This the the super budget route. Have seen this carrier go into the 9s on cars. Can be had used online for under $150, some times under $100. Just have the cluch packs rebuilt w/ a extra disk and you should be good to go.

Shane

so ur basically saying go with the tru-track or the ford hd carrier? do either of these make noise? little noises bug the crap outa me...and when u say the tru-track doesnt have clutch packs does that mean its like a torsen style dif?

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
WhtSuperStang said:
so ur basically saying go with the tru-track or the ford hd carrier? do either of these make noise? little noises bug the crap outa me...and when u say the tru-track doesnt have clutch packs does that mean its like a torsen style dif?

The Ford HD carrier is going to be just about exactly like your stock carrier cept for it accepts 31 spline axles and might have the larger pin in it. So it will make no more noise than your stock one.

Here is a link to an exploded view of the tru-trac, that should give you an idea how those work. You will have to ask larry if he hears any noise from his. I had mine like 4 years ago, I can't remember.
http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm#

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
i had an auburn in my 89 coupe. i bought the car used and 3 months later the diff was slipping and i had to buy a new one. you can't rebuild the auburns. i ended up buying an eaton and it does the job. i had to sell the car so i didn't have the car long enough to have an opinion. a friend of mine also blew his auburn in his LT1 caprice.

i give a :thumbsdow for auburn

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info