• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Possible to change rear pads without removing parking brake cable?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Is it possible to change the rear brake pads on an 03 Cobra without removing the parking brake cable from the caliper?

The reason I ask is that it looks like a major pain in the ass to take apart the e-brake handle and try to release tension on the spring under there.

I plan on doing the brakes tomorrow and am not looking forward to doing the rears.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
The rear's are a peice of cake! :clap: You don't no need to take off all of the other crap...just the caliper & bracket....The rear brakes arn't too bad, the only thing that sucks is getting the bracket bolts off cause you can't just turn the wheel like the fronts.....20 min. MAX for the rears! :headbang:

p.s. hawk pads are the best!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
OK, I just spent two hours out there on the drivers side rear caliper trying to get the damned thing off.

The caliper bolts came off easy enough, but there just isn't enough slack in the cable to get it out of the spring tensioner clip on the caliper.

The caliper will start to slide off easy enough, but gets hung up because the parking brake cable is attached.

It looks straightforward, but I must be stupid because I can't seem to figure this out. :crying:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
If you compress the spring a little, by pulling on the arm that the cable is attached to(with channel locks or pliers), the clip and cable can be removed from the caliper.
DO NOT mess with the spring though. They are a bitch to get back into position.

It is pretty simple if you look at it.

Then the bolts can be removed a lot more easily.
Put them back in with LockTite.

Dan

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
nytebyte said:
OK, I just spent two hours out there on the drivers side rear caliper trying to get the damned thing off.

The caliper bolts came off easy enough, but there just isn't enough slack in the cable to get it out of the spring tensioner clip on the caliper.

The caliper will start to slide off easy enough, but gets hung up because the parking brake cable is attached.

It looks straightforward, but I must be stupid because I can't seem to figure this out. :crying:

did you take the small retainer clip off in the wheel well? The clip holds the e-brake cable to the wheel well. One bolt holds it on. If you remove that bolt/clip, you'll get a lot more play in the cable.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Well, I did the whole brake job today (well almost all of it). It took me about 6.5 hours total.

The fronts were pretty easy. I put on new pads, rotors, and a Kenny Brown brake cooler bracket. The most time consuming task was the KB cooler bracket. I got most of it on, but I wasn't able to get the hoses on the brake vents in the lower fascia. The hose diameter is way too small and I'll probably have to get some kind of adapter.

The rears were a major pain in the ass. First I tried Dan's suggestion of getting the cable off the spring-clip by compressing the spring and yanking on the end of the cable with a vise-grip. For some reason, I could not get it to budge (just like yesterday). Not sure why I couldn't get any slack in the cable since it seems logical that it should come out. Next, I tried Cliff's suggestion of removing the retainer clip. It did the trick and gave me more than enough slack to work with the caliper. Thanks Cliff!!

However, the bolts for the retainer clips must've been made out of a real soft metal because the bolt heads just snapped right off. I couldn't believe it when I felt them break, since I only applied a couple ft. lbs of torque with a tiny socket wrench. Oh well, I'll have to fix those later.

Of course, rotating and pushing in the rear piston with the special tool really sucked and was a PITA. For some reason, the passenger side didn't want to turn at first, but it finally went in.

The nastiest part was trying to get the caliper back on. For some reason, I had a very hard time with the drivers side caliper. I must have spent over an hour trying to get it to line up with the bolt holes. I really had to manhandle it and even beat it with a hammer to get it in. The passenger side went in easier, but it was still a bitch. I think most of the problem was due to the parking brake cable still being attached.

I don't know if I ever want to do the rear brakes again. :(

Unfortunately right as I was about finished, my friend who was helping me had to leave, so I didn't get a chance to bleed the system. The brakes feel OK, but a little softer than they should. I'll have to bleed them later when I can get some help.

I decided not to put on the stainless brake hoses yet since I don't have the correct tools to do the job. That will have to wait as well.

Thanks for all your help!! I probably wouldn't have had the balls to do this myself if I didn't have the support of this forum. :toast:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info