• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Chip or Flash?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have the Steiegy Stage 3 ported blower, 2.76 pulley and 4 idlers from BilletFlow, BAP, 60 lb. injectors, "Big Air" SCT 2400 all ready to go into my car in a couple weeks. Hermann is going to tune it. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use a chip or flash tune so I was hoping you guys would convince me to go one way or the other. I'm leaning towards a multi tune chip so I can change the tune using a switch on the console.

what do you guys/girls think? advantages/disadvantages? What do you have and like? thanks in advance.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Because I wish I didnt have to rip open a footwell every time I needed to get a retune or a slight adjustment. I wish I could just scan for codes without going to AutoZone. I wish I could datalog. I wish I could tweak the tune a little bit without making a big deal out of it.

That good enough?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
03 VENOM said:
I have the SCT XCal 2 flasher(dyno tuned from sutton) and its great :headbang: datalogging capabilities,more convenient than a chip,holds maybe 3 tunes(not sure) download tunes via e-mail! etc. etc.

How long does is take to download a tune? Couple minutes? If I used the XCal 2, I would be able to store multiple tunes in the unit and switch between them anytime I want?

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Flyn high again said:
How long does is take to download a tune? Couple minutes? If I used the XCal 2, I would be able to store multiple tunes in the unit and switch between them anytime I want?

With High Speed Internet(Comcast) it wouldn't take long at all to download tunes :biggthump I haven't downloaded any tunes yet but I've done alot of research.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm going with the X Cal 2. It's easier to hook up [thanks Hank] and 3 tunes are enough for me. Data logging ability is a plus. From what I've heard and read, it seems the chip's biggest advantage is to be able to switch on the fly. I can't see myself needing that too much at this time. I'll probably get a really safe daily driver street tune, moderate street tune, and a track tune and leave it in either DD or moderate most of the time.

I was watching Trucks today on Spike TV and I saw a controller that plugged into the access port and allowed them to adjust diesel hp settings on the fly. Really cool piece. Flip a switch, get more hp. The controller mounted under the dash and plugged into the access port. I wonder how long it will be until someone does that for the Cobras. The new "Trucks" guys added propane and Nitrous as well as the tune to a pick up and produced 800hp and over 1200 lbs/ft torque. Insane...

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Flyn high again said:

The XCal2 hold up to 3 customs tunes and the stock tune... swapping tunes takes about 90 seconds.

Yo ucan swap tunes faster with a chip, but a chip cannot datalog, read trouble codes, and you can't email get new tunes via email. To change the tune on the chip, you have to reburn it.

I would go flasher.... no doubt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info