• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I'm swapping my wheels this weekend, are the factory jacking points safe to use?

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
Are the factory jacking points safe to use? (The place where you put the factory screw jack) On SVTP.com, they say it woll mess up the car, but I don't see how it could....If I got a flat, I'd have to use that spot. I'm gonna do one tire at a time...its not like I wanna get both tires on each side off of the ground...just up enough to change a tire at a time!

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
Just the sheer weight of the car, once the jack really starts lifting WILL bend the pinch rail....TRUST ME, look at my pinch rail on the passenger side. I'll never do that again. You can lift on a control arm or something, that's what I do. On the rear, there is a huge black tube-like thing that I assume is part of the IRS...you can use that too. I don't know if using the pumpkin is a good idea, though. Bottom line, DON'T use the pich rail unless you want to fuck something up. :D

-Mike

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
Thats so effin' gay...I just want to put my new wheels and tires on!
So I basically have to find a place with a hydrolic lift if I wanna put my new combe on this weekend! I want to do it my self...if somone f's up my brand new wheels, I'll kill somone! I can't believe that notched out area of the pinch weld will bend!

frdtch05gt

complete car nut
Jun 29, 2005
Look a little further under the car, near the cats. You will see a rail where subframe connectors get welded on, use that rail. It is strong enough to hold up the front corners of the car so you can change the fronts (if your jack can reach that point that is). Then for the rear, go under the control arm or rear suspension subframe.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Same here.

I have two 2x8 boards that I drive up onto which gives me enough clearance for the jack.

But later this week I'm going to need to pick the entire car up off the ground so I can do a brake job on all four corners. I need to take all 4 wheels off.

I still haven't figured out how I'm going to get the car up. :(

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Go to Just Tires in Des Plaines on Oakton and Lee. They are good guys there. They mounted 2 sets of tires for me. I hate anyone and everyone working on my cars. I don't really trust anyone. There are only 2 places I like Speed inc and Just tires. If you go late enough when none of the bosses are there they might even let you watch them in the shop area put them on.

Dewalt03cobra

Dewalt03Cobra
Dec 3, 2004
Glad I got a vert., it has frame stiffeners (connectors)on the front and back. Even with my car lowered 2" I just use two $99 low profile racing jacks from harbor freight and in two to three min. using the subframe connectors as jacking points (front first) I can have my car on stands ready to work on.

Whitey04

Regular
Apr 2, 2006
Well heres how I do it. The front is pretty straight forward drive on blocks and jack on the k member, be careful as the k member is a flat surface with no grab points and the jack can slip, then your buying an oil pan. In the rear if you look under the car by where the exhaust meets under the pumpkin you'll see this black pad like thing hanging down, I beleive that was put there to jack on, and the only reason I beleive that is because the pad is bolted to a hanger that isn't hitting the diff and is bolted the the upper half of the diff support which is bolted the the irs subframe. So the pad is soft and moves alot and when you start to jack on it and looks like your bending the hanger but your not. I've jack the car up several times from this point and have never had a problem, and it gets both tires up and keeps the car even. Just go slow and watch for any slipping of the jack or exceive pad movement from front to back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info