• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Cold Air Intakes

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
So, Ive been wondering this for awhile. And im only thinking about future modifications to my car. (Cliffs notes at end)

From what I've heard, the JLT true cold air kit is the best in the market. Is there any difference between that and the Ram Air (performance wise). Im assuming both wouldnt fit with a Strut tower brace. Speaking of the STB, For a convertible is it significantly better to use one? Or would just Subframes be satisfactory. If the STB is a must, i guess the WMS velocity tube is the next best. Anyone know about it? It would be so much easier just to buy the JLT. (answering my own question?)

Cliffs notes:
Is the JLT RAI better or worse than the CAI? Does it matter?
Ive heard the CAI can suck in water, true?
Is a Strut tower brace a significant improvement for a convertible?

TIA guys n gals

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
imho a strut tower brace wouldnt do you any good inless u would want to participate in road course racing. the mximum motorsports xl full length sub-frame connectors would be all you need for straight line performance. although you would feel a difference in stability on the on/off ramp :biggthump

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Get welded in sub frame connectors. they make a huge difference, especially in verts.

As far as the JLT, I would recommend it for a non daily driver but I bought the K+N FIPK CAI instead because I drive my car in all types of weather and don't want to be sucking up water and snow into a filter in the wheel well. JLT's cold air intake puts the filter in the fender. The RAI puts it in the engine compartment. This means the CAI sucks colder air than the RAI. You also have the issue of a bend in the intake tube with the JLT CAI. With other older in fender kits, there were some air turbulence issues due to the bend.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
So i did some more research and i found that the CAI made 5 more RWTQ and 4 more RWHP on a 99 with TB and full exhaust. Doesnt sound much but if i want to keep my car with mostly bolt ons every bit counts right? I think in my situation cuz i dont drive the car in the snow and it rarely sees rain i should go for the CAI. even if i did drive in rain, it should be TOO much of a danger right?

STB is out...ok...makes sense.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Rotzs99 said:
So i did some more research and i found that the CAI made 5 more RWTQ and 4 more RWHP on a 99 with TB and full exhaust. Doesnt sound much but if i want to keep my car with mostly bolt ons every bit counts right? I think in my situation cuz i dont drive the car in the snow and it rarely sees rain i should go for the CAI. even if i did drive in rain, it should be TOO much of a danger right?

STB is out...ok...makes sense.

The JLT CAI is a nice kit. A few horsepower don't really matter much. Any difference under 10-15 hp can't be felt. The JLT CAI is tougher to install and change the filter but if you don't mind the extra work, I'm sure you'll like it. You'll feel some extra power with almost any CAI/RAI and the blower will whine louder.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Rotzs99 said:
well wheres the old one going?

I'll probably put it in my parts bin. I like to keep all the stock parts around. Doug from BilletFlow has some brand new M112s if you are interested. You can also find used blowers for sale in the market here and on SVTPerformance.com and modularfords.com. Stock used blowers usually sell for around $400-450.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
Flyn high again said:
I'll probably put it in my parts bin. I like to keep all the stock parts around. Doug from BilletFlow has some brand new M112s if you are interested. You can also find used blowers for sale in the market here and on SVTPerformance.com and modularfords.com. Stock used blowers usually sell for around $400-450.

Wow that sounds pretty cheap. What would i have to upgrade to do something like that?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info