• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Finally found the problem that has plagued me for years

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Lyle came over today to help work on my exhaust and diagnose a clunk I have in the rear end. I've had this problem with my driveline for years and could never figure out where the intermittent clunk was coming from. It got worse a couple days ago so I asked him to take a look at it. He discovered a crack in the rear differential bracket [see picture]. From the rust, it's obvious that this crack has been there quite some time but it finally broke through and got big enough to see the crack easily.

Thank goodness! This clunk and accompanying vibration has been driving me nuts for a long time. I am ecstatic to finally discover what the problem is. Car will be towed to Sutton Monday morning to get a new bracket and hopefully solve my problems once and for all. Yay for me. Thanks Lyle!!! You are the man. :biggthump

Attachments

• Resize 1.jpg
    Resize 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 173

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks Mike. You know how often I would complain about the vibration and something just not being right with the drive train. I couldn't tell if it was differential, drive shaft, trans. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was for the last couple years. My car always felt clunky compared to other Terminators I drive. This crack in the bracket explains everything. As a small crack, it would flex enough to sometimes be felt but wasn't visible to the techs who checked out the car. Now that it finally broke completely, it's easy to see when you're under the car. I am confident that once I have the new bracket the car will feel completely different. I can't wait to hit the highway after the repair and see if the vibe is gone. I bet it will be... :headbang:

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Flyn high again said:
Thanks Mike. You know how often I would complain about the vibration and something just not being right with the drive train. I couldn't tell if it was differential, drive shaft, trans. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was for the last couple years. My car always felt clunky compared to other Terminators I drive. This crack in the bracket explains everything. As a small crack, it would flex enough to sometimes be felt but wasn't visible to the techs who checked out the car. Now that it finally broke completely, it's easy to see when you're under the car. I am confident that once I have the new bracket the car will feel completely different. I can't wait to hit the highway after the repair and see if the vibe is gone. I bet it will be... :headbang:

hey maybe we can test out the highway run with your new bracket.. ha! You and me cliffy boy!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:
Cool.

Crack has always been a problem for me also.

I watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle again last night. Don't know why your crack line reminds me of that movie...

I know you're joking but I had a friend die from his crack addiction. He couldn't beat it and it eventually beat him. Some drugs are just too strong...

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Flyn high again said:
I watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle again last night. Don't know why your crack line reminds me of that movie...

I know you're joking but I had a friend die from his crack addiction. He couldn't beat it and it eventually beat him. Some drugs are just too strong...

sorry to hear about your friend. :(

And yes, H+K is funny.. TO THE EXTREAM!

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Flyn high again said:
Lyle came over today to help work on my exhaust and diagnose a clunk I have in the rear end. I've had this problem with my driveline for years and could never figure out where the intermittent clunk was coming from. It got worse a couple days ago so I asked him to take a look at it. He discovered a crack in the rear differential bracket [see picture]. From the rust, it's obvious that this crack has been there quite some time but it finally broke through and got big enough to see the crack easily.

Thank goodness! This clunk and accompanying vibration has been driving me nuts for a long time. I am ecstatic to finally discover what the problem is. Car will be towed to Sutton Monday morning to get a new bracket and hopefully solve my problems once and for all. Yay for me. Thanks Lyle!!! You are the man. :biggthump

how many miles are on your car?

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Flyn high again said:

Sorry to hear that...

I kid, I kid....

BTW H&K does rock and Doogie H is the bomb!!!!

Cliff, I hope someone fills your crack ASAP :p

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:
Sorry to hear that...

I kid, I kid....

BTW H&K does rock and Doogie H is the bomb!!!!

Cliff, I hope someone fills your crack ASAP :p

NPH is hilarious in that movie.

My "Crack" will be replaced, not filled. Ouch. :eek:

Of course, the weather is beautiful today but I don't want to drive the car with the crack in the bracket. Last thing I need is for the IRS to fall out of the car. :rolleyes:

shanker

Amateur Expert
Mar 14, 2004
I thought you were going to corralate your mental illness to your Tab drinking. I guess we'll have to wait for that thread. :)

Do you think that it may have happened at MSC 1 and it went unnoticed? I cant remember if it was the trans or the rear that went out on you.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
shanker said:
I thought you were going to corralate your mental illness to your Tab drinking. I guess we'll have to wait for that thread. :)

Do you think that it may have happened at MSC 1 and it went unnoticed? I cant remember if it was the trans or the rear that went out on you.

That was the output shaft on the trans. Dealer who serviced the car at the time decided the shaft was defective. It broke when I let out the clutch to do a burnout. No wheel hop at all.

Edit- my drive train has had problems since the car was new. I wonder how much this crack may have contributed to them. Can't wait to get it fixed and then feel how the car performs.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
blubyu said:
Cliff, you're really getting in shape. First your shoulder and now your rear end!!

:clap:

That's what happens when you get old...

Seriously, that's the kind of luck I have. I'm trying to get both my shoulder and the car in shape so I can put on the ported blower and pulley and didn't need this crap now. At least replacing this bracket will hopefully solve many of my drivetrain problems. I'm sure a fractured flexing bracket hasn't been a good thing for the drive train. For a long time, I noticed the flex/vibe/occasional clank because I'm in tune with the car but other people haven't been able to feel it. Now that the bracket finally cracked all the way through, it becomes obvious what needs to be fixed.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Mystic Terminator said:
Cliff,

Sorry you got a lemon... In 2000 more miles when you are stuck with the cost of repairs it is going to suck! :rolleyes:

My car has been getting better all along. I'm hoping this is the last piece of the puzzle and I end up with a solid drivetrain [for an IRS] after the new bracket is installed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info