• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Slightly rough idle at startup - 03 Cobra

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
When I start my car when it's completely cold, it sounds like it's running slightly rough for about 60 seconds or so.

Also, when it's still cold, if I do something like start off at 3 mph in 2nd gear, it will hesitate just a bit. It never used to do this before. All of these symptoms go away after it warms up and then it runs perfectly.

My guess is that I might need to re-gap or replace the plugs. The car has about 30K miles on it and I've never touched the plugs. Mods include just an intake and catback. I still have the stock pulley.

At this mileage, should I just re-gap or replace the plugs? I think the gap for a stock 03 Cobra is .042, correct?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
OK, I pulled all the plugs, then cleaned and re-gapped them.

Two were out of spec and all had a huge amount of carbon deposits on them, but other than that, they looked good.

I carefully cleaned all the carbon off with a dremel tool and a small wire brush attachment. Now they look as good as new.

After re-gapping them and reinstalling, the car started very quickly and just turned over less than once before firing up. It idled nice and smooth.

While I had the lower intake out, I decided to clean the air filter. The filter is still drying, so I'll clean the MAF before reinstalling it.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
OK, I finally took the car for a spin. The low RPM hesitation is gone, however now I've got a stumble that occurs between 1500 and 2000 RPM's. No problems at WOT though.

I've done some research and it seems that a plug gap that's too narrow can cause this. I gapped all the plugs between .042 and .046.

Should I just get new plugs (maybe Brisk - no gapping needed), or should I pull all the plugs again and check the gap?

What are your thoughts?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
nytebyte said:
OK, I finally took the car for a spin. The low RPM hesitation is gone, however now I've got a stumble that occurs between 1500 and 2000 RPM's. No problems at WOT though.

I've done some research and it seems that a plug gap that's too narrow can cause this. I gapped all the plugs between .042 and .046.

Should I just get new plugs (maybe Brisk - no gapping needed), or should I pull all the plugs again and check the gap?

What are your thoughts?

Buy the new plugs. It's a $35,000 car. Don't skimp.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info