• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How is the traction w/ 10.5" rims and tires?

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I was thinking of using the AFS 10.5 inch replica rear wheels with BFG KD's and yet I have heard that even with 10" rims and tires we still fry'em pretty easily.

Can anyone tell my how much better the 10.5" rims and wheels really are.....if
so?

I want a "sticky" set for the street because I don't trust Drag Radials.

I mean what is the real deal here now....does anyone really know?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Since 1964 said:
I was thinking of using the AFS 10.5 inch replica rear wheels with BFG KD's and yet I have heard that even with 10" rims and tires we still fry'em pretty easily.

Can anyone tell my how much better the 10.5" rims and wheels really are.....if
so?

I want a "sticky" set for the street because I don't trust Drag Radials.

I mean what is the real deal here now....does anyone really know?

Traction and Street Tires shouldn't be used in the same sentence. If you don't use drag radials, you won't get any traction at your power level. :nono:

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I have to agree with Larry on this one... I had started a post like his earlier, and then said, naa... my opinions don't matter, but then I saw his post, and he is right...

DR's is the way to go on the street... what don't you trust about them Dennis?

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I don't trust cornering, much less the effects of heat.

It's one thing to hit 180MPH in a straight line and slow down but to be crusing all over the place on Drag Radials is dangerous according to BFG.

That's how they answered my email regarding such 2 years ago. I like to do it because I get all kinds of traction, but in that moment where I may get to race from 70mph on up I don't think it would be a good idea, although, I followed Paul out to Byron and back and he was all over the place on the Nitto Drag Radials at 25lbs without a care in the world. He ran up to 150MPH more than once, much less raced all day inbetween.

I was just hoping some one would say 10.5's with BFG KD's, or the Michelan Pilot 2's or even GDYR Supercar's would hook a lot better than the 275's we got stock.

I just love my Firestone Firehawks for street driving until I hit the gas in either 1st or 2nd they'll just break free too easily, and I have heard of people getting sideways hitting 3rd or 4th at highway speeds on stock tires once they have a ported 2.76 or more power.

I'm just dying to run off on a new Vette this summer from 70 to 120-145 or so and shut down for the fun of it, but hey, I may never get the chance either.

So.......I'm thinking a set of BFG KD's with 10's in the rear will do it, BUT, I have heard they ain't much better than stock by soem others.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Since 1964 said:
I don't trust cornering, much less the effects of heat.

It's one thing to hit 180MPH in a straight line and slow down but to be crusing all over the place on Drag Radials is dangerous according to BFG.

That's how they answered my email regarding such 2 years ago. I like to do it because I get all kinds of traction, but in that moment where I may get to race from 70mph on up I don't think it would be a good idea, although, I followed Paul out to Byron and back and he was all over the place on the Nitto Drag Radials at 25lbs without a care in the world. He ran up to 150MPH more than once, much less raced all day inbetween.

I was just hoping some one would say 10.5's with BFG KD's, or the Michelan Pilot 2's or even GDYR Supercar's would hook a lot better than the 275's we got stock.

I just love my Firestone Firehawks for street driving until I hit the gas in either 1st or 2nd they'll just break free too easily, and I have heard of people getting sideways hitting 3rd or 4th at highway speeds on stock tires once they have a ported 2.76 or more power.

I'm just dying to run off on a new Vette this summer from 70 to 120-145 or so and shut down for the fun of it, but hey, I may never get the chance either.

So.......I'm thinking a set of BFG KD's with 10's in the rear will do it, BUT, I have heard they ain't much better than stock by soem others.
315 Nittos and 10.5's for you Dennis. If you buy street tires again you might as well blow $800 on a stripper.

Venomblue22

If you only knew
Mar 7, 2005
im runin a 10 with 295 pilot 2s, i likem alot, i do notice that when they are cold they like to let loose a lot, but after the first few they seem to beome a little more stickey, but im also on a stock motor, and with anything more than a pulley i would say um no. and also the pilot 2s are reall expensive, i also had a problem with bubbles in the side wall with my first set of 4 (bad run of tires) but they replaced them and for sreet driving i would say they would suffice, but if ur gonna get on it then they are toast

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
315 Nittos and 10.5's for you Dennis. If you buy street tires again you might as well blow $800 on a stripper.

Believe me...If I "spend" $800.00 on a stripper....she's gonna blow me....TWICE!

So far it's looking like new Nittos for the street. I'll have to try the set I have just to see.

I hate the MT Drag Radials out on the street, well it's sloppy, but to ask Larry...he's fine with them all the time. I asked Jason and he said the 10" with 315's didn't do shit, although, he didn't use a Drag Radial, much less a BFG KW or similar.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Since 1964 said:
I hate the MT Drag Radials out on the street, well it's sloppy, but to ask Larry...he's fine with them all the time.

I wouldn't say I'm fine with them all the time, I'll be the first to tell you that they can be DANGEROUS in the rain. I don't use mine like you (i.e. long, high-speed highway runs and much concern with handling), so they work for me.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
gnxs said:
I wouldn't say I'm fine with them all the time, I'll be the first to tell you that they can be DANGEROUS in the rain. I don't use mine like you (i.e. long, high-speed highway runs and much concern with handling), so they work for me.

I'm sorry Larry for misquoting you, I didn't mean to....I thought you said you liked them and they didn't bother you. I like to race on them and I did drive out to Byron once but I won't do that again. Not even on the BFG's for that matter.

The time I went with Paul I was on street tires, not Drag Radials. I just want a street tire that I can trust will hook. I don't want to give the impression that I go hog wild a lot, in fact, I have only run this car out to the limits that day going to Byron, and once before, BUT...I want to be able to and so I hunt for the best tire and wheel combo.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
nytebyte said:
How about going to some kind of race tire like the Nitto NT 01 or the Nitto 555RII ?

I was toying with the idea of doing this. The only drawbacks are that they probably wouldn't be too good in the rain and they'd wear quickly.

The only other alternative is to get a really WIDE street tire. :dunno:

That 555RII might just be the answer. I don't think I would even need to get a 10" rim because I could use a 315-35-ZR17 (if they come that size) like the Drag Radials I have from Pauls car. I'll be checking them out for the next week or so.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
02RedL said:
With the kind of power these cars make modded, it doesnt matter how wide of a street tire you get! Your not gettin traction!

I have heard that and that's why I want some feed back. I am overpowering the stock size but like my previous post that Nitto might be a good tire.

I know a BFG KD is a sticky tire for the street. I gues it's gonna boil down to weather I want the 10" rim or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info