• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

ABS question

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Anyone know what happens when you install axles without ABS rings? Like is the computer going freak out and think my rear wheels are always locked up? OR do I just get an ABS light? If so can I turn it off somehow?

I tried to press the ABS ring on one of my new Mosers and the damn thing grenaded. So I'm thinking since I don't drive in the rain much and in 2 years my ABS has never kicked on that I will just say screw ABS and install them w/out the ABS rings. I'd like to keep the ABS but I'm done screwing with it. Axles are going in tomorrow w/out rings.

The fit was really tight and they wouldn't go on at all. I froze the axle and heated the ABS ring and it still didn't matter. It didn't even come close to slipping on. It just popped.

I know the guys with 9 inches or just the 9 inch ends can't run ABS so what else do I gotta do? Thought of this one yet Jason? :dunno:

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Anyone know what happens when you install axles without ABS rings? Like is the computer going freak out and think my rear wheels are always locked up? OR do I just get an ABS light? If so can I turn it off somehow?

I tried to press the ABS ring on one of my new Mosers and the damn thing grenaded. So I'm thinking since I don't drive in the rain much and in 2 years my ABS has never kicked on that I will just say screw ABS and install them w/out the ABS rings. I'd like to keep the ABS but I'm done screwing with it. Axles are going in tomorrow w/out rings.

The fit was really tight and they wouldn't go on at all. I froze the axle and heated the ABS ring and it still didn't matter. It didn't even come close to slipping on. It just popped.

I know the guys with 9 inches or just the 9 inch ends can't run ABS so what else do I gotta do? Thought of this one yet Jason? :dunno:

You'll just get a light on the dashboard and you can probably disable it if you have a Predator or XCal2.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah I have a Predator but I looked through the manual real quick and didn't see that as an option- but I might have missed it. I'll plug it in and check it out when I get home.

Next question is can I get gear oil to flow out and then back in if it is 10 degrees tomorrow when I am doing this? :rolleyes: A smart person would prolly wait till it is 20 degrees warmer but I'm not that smart. OR wait 2 weeks till I move to the new house with HEAT and INSULATION in the garage. :headbang:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
High of 11 degrees out here tomorrow. Won't have to worry about my beers getting warm while I'm wrenching. Suck 'em down before it freezes! :alcoholic

I can leave the new oil in the house till I need it- it's getting the old out that is gonna be fun. I'm gonna put my small space heaters by the pumpkin before I pull the drain plug. That should help a little.

I though of another good reason to skip the ABS. If you break a stud or need to change them for some reason you're pretty much screwed if you have the rings on there.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Wharf Rat said:

Ya, I was told that I'll just get the ABS light. I dont know much about the Predator, but I have an XCAL and I have to have Hermann change my tune for the 3.90's and no ABS.

It kind of bothered me at first but then I really thought about how many times I've actually locked up the wheels before, and I could probably count the occasions on one hand, so oh well, just have to be a little more careful slowing down when its wet out. No biggie

I'm assuming that with no ABS, we will lose traction control as well, TC is probably controlled by the rings too, huh :dunno:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
firstsvt said:
I'm assuming that with no ABS, we will lose traction control as well, TC is probably controlled by the rings too, huh :dunno:

Good point. I all ready had that POS turned off anyway though.

Are you doing the swap tomorrow? Hope ya got some heat! If you need any pics or anything give me a ring and I can snap some pics or whatever. I'll be under there anyway unless I turn into a popsicle first.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Are you doing the swap tomorrow? Hope ya got some heat! If you need any pics or anything give me a ring and I can snap some pics or whatever. I'll be under there anyway unless I turn into a popsicle first.

Unfortunately no, its going in next weekend, a few parts got delayed and I actually forgot to order a cat-back :lmao: ......oops Next weekend for sure. I am begging my boss to let me use a heated garage here at work. Good luck on yours outside, its freakin cold and getting colder :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info