• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Let's talk Brakes

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
I'll be needing new rotors and pads within the next few weeks...

anyone have recommendations..

I'm @ 21K miles now....

at about 9K miles I bought a front and rear set of slotted and drilled rotors. At the same time I replaced the front pads with ceramic ones while keeping the stock rears.

at around 18K miles I noticed a squeal comming from the rear of the car... and as luck would have it the stock rear pads were worn down to the rivets, I was surprised that there was no wear indicator. No doubt my brake aided burnouts cause the wear... This destroyed the sloted rotors, so as a temp fix I put a new set of pads on with the old stock rotors.

And now it's time to get the brakes ready for the spring season.

Any suggestions? and no I'm not spending $2K on brakes.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Cobra Jack said:
I'll be needing new rotors and pads within the next few weeks...

anyone have recommendations..

I'm @ 21K miles now....

at about 9K miles I bought a front and rear set of slotted and drilled rotors. At the same time I replaced the front pads with ceramic ones while keeping the stock rears.

at around 18K miles I noticed a squeal comming from the rear of the car... and as luck would have it the stock rear pads were worn down to the rivets, I was surprised that there was no wear indicator. No doubt my brake aided burnouts cause the wear... This destroyed the sloted rotors, so as a temp fix I put a new set of pads on with the old stock rotors.

And now it's time to get the brakes ready for the spring season.

Any suggestions? and no I'm not spending $2K on brakes.

ive heard good things about hawk pads [ask cliff]. Im not sure which rotors though. John, any ideas?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Yeah my rear brakes went before the fronts too... LOL

I am using the Hawk HPS pads and just cut the stock rotors.

I will probably replace the rotors this season and I will likey just use the Brembo replacements from Tire Rack...they are pretty inexpensive and good quality.

As for pads... I may try some thing else the next time. The Hawks are a lil noisy and dusty.

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
i agree my hawks are noisy and dirty. but stopping power is incredible. for good stopping power go with a semi metallic pad, ceramic just doesnt cut it on a performance car. i think the dust is worth not having brake fade when brakes are really needed, also multiple high speed hard braking will toast a set of ceramics quickly as they will overheat

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
The rotors do essentually nothing for performance. The general concensus is that slots and holes are for bling only.

As for feel, bleed your brakes and get good pads. What's your tolerence for dust and noise? Better pads are going to do both. If you don't mind a little dust Hawk HPS, Porterfield Rs-4, Carbotech Bobcat, Satisfied (forget the comp on Tirerack.com), etc will all do about the same. If you are def and will never have a date in the car go with Carbotech Panther +. They have awesome inital bite and stopping power.

The lines aren't all that hard to change. You'll need an 11(?)mm flare nut wrench. Be careful you don't cross thread the caliper side of the connection.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info