• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Stalling Problem FAQ

smetz

Jan 15, 2006
I posted this over at SVTPerformance.com, I figured I'd copy it over here for the local crew.

Hey guys, I have been having the stalling issue on my 03 cobra, and I'm one of those guys that does insane amounts of research on how to fix or upgrade before I do it, so I thought I'd put together my findings for future reference. Feel free to add to this post if you have any corrections or additional comments and maybe we can help consolidate the information when the question comes up again. It's hard to state all these things as facts, just going off of what I've read on forums, but I'm trying to verify these as best I can as I go along. If I have something wrong, PM me and I will fix it in this post.

• Stalling seems to be an issue mainly on the 03 versions.
  • The 04 has a different program which seems to eliminate the problem.
  • There is a flash available from Ford to fix the problem
    • SSM 17542.
      SM 17542 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - LACK OF POWER ON DECELERATION
      SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT www.MOTORCRAFT.COM.
  • It mostly happens when you have been driving, and you put the clutch in and brake to a near stop at the same time
  • IMPORTANT If you go to Ford for the reflash, and then load your custom tune back onto the car, you MUST have the stall fix in your custom tune or it will overwrite it and you will still have the problem
  • If you update your handheld tuner to the most recent version of the software, it will have the stall fix in the tune
  • The computer program may not be the only issue, other possible problems are:
    • If you've recently installed a CAI, and failed to connect all fittings to prevent an air leak
    • If there is too much oil on your filter, it could have contaminated the MAF sensor, a really good writeup on how to clean this is found here: http://www.svtsnake.com/tech/mafclean.html
    • There have been reports of a bad Idle Air Control (IAC) which can also be cleaned with carb cleaner (writeup anyone?)
    • You can try to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes minimum, letting the car idle for 5-10 minutes, and making 2-3 "normal" driving sessions while avoiding WOT driving to let the computer learn the airflow
    • There has been some mention of CAI with a bend just before the MAF causing turbulence and irregular readings on the MAF, I can't find any actual data on this at this time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• smetz
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list