• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Brake Changes Tonight

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
This forum has been a little slow lately, and although sadly I don't have any posts redirecting you to some hilarious clip on putfile about something totally not related to my SVT, I thought I would share my tech.

I lost a brake pad on the front passenger side last week (it had plenty of pad left two months ago when I changed into my snow tires), it must have cracked and disintegrated. Now that it started grinding the rotor, it's time to change it.

I bought a set of Hawk HPS pads, and some speed bleeders all around and new ATP Blue brake fluid. I'm going to try to start this tonight, and was wondering if anyone has installed the speed bleeders before and how tough it is? I'm figuring just pop out the old ones and insert the new ones and bleed them without losing too much fluid? I've heard to do the rears first then the fronts. I'm also having the front rotors turned at Pep Boys since I've been grinding the passenger one for a few miles now.

This should be fun - I'm going to do it outdoors in an underground parking garage - in the freezing cold. Fun. Any suggestions welcomed.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'd recommend getting new rotors instead of turning the old ones. The ones on my Cobra warped after turning. Not sure about the Lightning but the Cobra material is too thin and flimsy to turn [in my case, at least]. I have no speed bleeder experience so can't help you there.

That's Beth's new Lightning.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
As far as the Speed Bleeders go, the old ones just screw all the way out and screw the new bleeders in. There won't be any pressure on the lines so you will not lose much fluid, but anytime you open the system it has to be bled.

I bought them since my stock bleeders were stripped from using a open end wrench instead of a line wrench, but they don't work very well for me. Air still enters the system from around the bleeder screw threads.

I always thought the blue brake fluid would stain the plastic reservoir making it difficult to read the fluid level :confused:

Lotsa a good info for brakes on the Stoptech web site
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks guys. Beth, when do I get to see the new toy?

Cliff, the L's brakes are actually pretty decent. We got the rear disc brake assemblies off the Navigators, and I believe the front discs are stock on the F-250. In either case, there's plenty of material to chew up before I upgrade to a set of slotted rotors.

Larry, my speed bleeders came with plenty of thread compund gooped on them already, and it was suggested that I not tighten it fully until I'm done. You may try pulling the speed bleeders out and putting some more thread sealing compund on them. I've never heard of the color bleed issue with the ATP Blue, although I never thought about it. It was recommended since it has identical properties to the ATP TYP 200 amber-colored fluid, so it's easy to tell when the system is flushed.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
ILLINI-SVT said:
You may try pulling the speed bleeders out and putting some more thread sealing compund on them.

I even bought the extra sealant, but I bleed my brakes 10-15 times a year (before every track event & pad change) and I think that's where my problem lies. The sealant is just being worn off the threads too fast and I'm probably over torqueing them since I'd rather be safe than sorry.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Wiked L said:
I got it! :p Check it out...

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=9184

Kevin~When are you coming out again to see it??

Damn, how'd I miss that thread? Nice pick, I like the color too. May I suggest some Zaino for you? I love my color, but washing it every week gets to be a pain!

When's the next GTG? I've been cravin a chicken sandwich or some wings.

BTW, I have a valve body in my truck, so you can take a drive and see if it shifts similar to yours. It'll be lots of fun - the snow tires don't survive the 1-2 very well.

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Apr 1, 2004
ILLINI-SVT said:
Damn, how'd I miss that thread? Nice pick, I like the color too. May I suggest some Zaino for you? I love my color, but washing it every week gets to be a pain!

When's the next GTG? I've been cravin a chicken sandwich or some wings.

BTW, I have a valve body in my truck, so you can take a drive and see if it shifts similar to yours. It'll be lots of fun - the snow tires don't survive the 1-2 very well.

Thanks! I don't know when the next get together is. We'll run into each other eventually.

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
ILLINI-SVT said:
Hey Larry, how will I know if they are leaking air when I use them?

You won't until your all done and you have a spongy brake pedal:mad:

After thinking about it, I didn't have a problem with air getting past the bleeder screw threads until the 3rd or 4th time I bleed my brakes. I bet if I removed them, applied the sealant and let if dry for 24 hours, I wouldn't have that problem so I think you should be good with yours being brand new.

I now have that pressurized brake bleeder that screws onto the reservoir, that's the only way to go if your doing this yourself on regular basis.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
OK, speed bleeders ROCK! :headbang:

I've never bled breakes so quickly or easily. And I highly recommend rotating the ATP Super Blue and TYP 200 (amber) fluids. Just keep pumping until the color changes. The kit from raceshopper comes with its own little colostomy bag too!

The bad news is that I must totally lost the pad on the back of the passenger caliper, it must have cracked and disintegrated. The rotors are off at Pep Boys right now and we'll see if there's not too much damage or if I need a new set of rotors.

Anyone have a good idea on how to clean the metal shavings from the ABS magnet sensor?

Attachments

• PICTURES 10 20 001-a.jpg
    PICTURES 10 20 001-a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 61
  • PICTURES 10 20 002-a.jpg
    PICTURES 10 20 002-a.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 21
  • PICTURES 10 20 003-a.jpg
    PICTURES 10 20 003-a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 62
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info