• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

brakes

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
On a typical brake job they never bleed the system unless it's opened.
The $10 tool they're referring to is probably the tool for turning in the pistons on rear calipers.

I usually bleed all four calipers before I replace pads so I'm not pushing the old fluid back in the system.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Juggernaut said:
ok is was talking to a tech @ a dealership cuz i need brakes now :( , but he said theres a $10 tool that the rear calipers need that will not make you have to bleed the brakes is this true? if so do you have to bleed any of the lines after doing a brake job cuz ive never heard this about a manual car before? :dunno:

Yeah, you do need that, b/c the doo hickey on the rear caliper needs to be pushed in while you turn it, and only the tool can do it w/o scratching the caliper. Call autozone or pep boys and see if you can rent one. I would upgrade to SS brake lines and Hawk pads while you're at it. It makes a HUGE difference in stopping power and feel.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Juggernaut said:
do i have to bleed or am i ok , like a auto car?

You don't have to bleed them, but it 's not a bad idea if your fluid is over a couple years old. The fluid picks up moisture and boils more easily as it gets old. Track events usually want you to have bled your fluid within a month or so of the event to avoid this. For normal street driving, bleeding is probably not necessary.

Juggernaut

TCG Elite Member
Mar 16, 2005
Flyn high again said:
You don't have to bleed them, but it 's not a bad idea if your fluid is over a couple years old. The fluid picks up moisture and boils more easily as it gets old. Track events usually want you to have bled your fluid within a month or so of the event to avoid this. For normal street driving, bleeding is probably not necessary.

no track racing for me this year :( :crying:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info