• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

IRS swap

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I posted up about this before about doing an IRS swap and the deal didn't go through as costs would've been to high since Boost12 wanted to swap gears and rear ends and it would've cost around 1k or more to have this all done at a shop. So here i go again.
I have a 2001 Mustang GT 5 speed in very good condition. Pretty much stock with the exception of the front strut bar and o/r x pipe i put on last week(i still consider it stock).
Anyways, i am looking for an irs cobra(preferably terminator) to swap rears with. Hopefully you wouldn't be running any slicks on there as the rear wouldn't be in very good shape if u were. It must not have been beaten the shit out of or i'm not interested.
It would also be nice to do this ourselves as i would love to spend the money we save not paying a shop on some other parts for the stang.
I'm in high school so this swap is only going to work on a weekend unless someone would like to do it today or this friday. I need a little notice so i can get off work so we can do this on a weekend.
I don't have many tools but would be able to use my garage to do the swap if necessary and am fairly handy at working on cars.
Let me know
I want to do this swap very bad.

-Justin

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
yeah i wish it cudve worked out too boost12
i didn't want to spend that much money either
oh well
I got another quote from speed inc. out in schaumburg and they said around 700 for the whole swap plus whatever it costs for you to do your gear which they wanted 5-600 bucks i think.
svtcobra2k1
i would definitely be interested in doing the swap with you.
I think if i did it with an 01 cobra we wudnt have to change the yokes on the driveshaft because they are the same trannies.
anyways very interested in doing this.
wondering if you have tools to do this otherwise i know someone who might be able to loan me their tools.(old neighbor from old house who used to restore old muscle) He has every tool imaginable.
let me know.

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
I can do this with you at your house if you have the tools. I have a very good idea on how to do it, and there are many instructions, plus we will save major money too. Its not very hard to do. I will let you know for sure within a day or to, lets take this to pm from now on. Thanks, mike.

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
hey man if u want to do this im willing to do it you would get the mac catback to go along with it. the cost would be 500 bucks at our local shop so it would be 250 for each of us. let me know when u want to do this cause im ready asap also i have a 99 cora with 4:10 gears in the rear

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
green99_svt said:
i would be willing to help you guys if needed to get the suspensions swapped. not hard but may take the better part of a day. mabe two
yeah andy
it would be helpful if you could help us
it would be much appreciated.
I'm not sure when we are doing the swap but we both want to do it.
Do you have any tools you would be willing to let us use to do the swap also.
thanks again.
-Justin

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
i have plenty of tools. let me know when its going down, i should be able to make it and give a hand.

im guessing two floor jacks and 6 or 8 jack stands would be nice.
i have 4 stands and a jack. i could probably get a few more sets of stands.
do you guys have an air comprssor?
that would save oodles of time

green99_svt

Regular
Oct 10, 2005
yeah i would see if you could get a grip on a compressor. i have impacts and air ractchets that would cut so much time off.
example driveshaft removal hand tools on the floor. 20 min
drive shaft removal impact gun. 26.3 seconds
not to mention the larget bolts for the control arms and irs mounts

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
yeah well as of right now the swap is being put off because svtcobra2k1 is considering selling his car
i'd really like the terminator rear end but all of the sudden it seems no terminators are up for this and there is no way in hell i can afford 1500 for a rear end
so the only way i can do this is a straight up swap
as for cobra_dj's rear end
the nitrous ur using on it according to ur profile scares me a little that the rear end has had the fuck beat out of it and the 99s had the weaker axles which will probably be fine for me but i'd like to not take any chances here.
as for the 4.10s u have
i still have to use this as a dd so i need a little gas mileage
to most 4.10s wud be a plus but to me thats not a disadvantage.
i'm still considering ur rear end tho
the shorter gearing wud be nice for some fun :gears:

B

Blown318

Fast99Snake said:
yeah well as of right now the swap is being put off because svtcobra2k1 is considering selling his car
i'd really like the terminator rear end but all of the sudden it seems not terminators are up for this and there is now way in hell i can afford 1500 for a rear end
so the only way i can do this is a straight up swap
as for cobra_dj's rear end
the nitrous ur using on it according to ur profile scares me a little that the rear end has had the fuck beat out of it and the 99s had the weaker axles which will probably be fine for me but i'd like to not take any chances here.
as for the 4.10s u have
i still have to use this as a dd so i need a little gas mileage
to most 4.10s wud be a plus but to me thats not a disadvantage.
i'm still considering ur rear end tho
the shorter gearing wud be nice for some fun :gears:

PM me if you want a nice IRS, not beat on and for a good price! :headbang:

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
I am just around the corner from doing this swap. I have an 03 17K mile Cobra. My stuff is pristine. Plus I would include a 4.10 gear and the factory 3.55 gear.

I have collected all the parts I need to do the swap so you would be able to sell your live axle to recoup the costs.

Shoot me a PM since what I will soon have for sale is what you are looking for.

Matt

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I would be interested in buying the solid axle. I'd be interested in the trade (swap), but I want to build the rear to take a beating and dont think it would be worth it to put it on my car, just to take it apart again to put in the new axles, diff, etc, but I would be interested in buying the solid outright.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info