• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

NEW turbo kit soon to be on the market!

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Paolo Castellano who fabricates twin turbo systems for Dodge Vipers is going to be designing a kit for our cobras! We are working on the kit over the phone, deciding which parts we wish to use in the kit. We should have something more over the winter and hopefully something for James to tune Jan 6th. I looked at the hellion kits, the HP twin turbos and THP twin turbos and I just think we can make a kit for less money and something more simple. I have been trying to convince Paolo there is a market for these kits and today he finally agreed with me so we are going to get moving! Here is a quick overview of our plan

Sullivan Intake
single turbo (base kit - 76gts turbo) all the way to an 88mm
All stainless piping
custom turbo headers
custom intercooler (we will test both water/air and air/air)
injectors of your choice
BAP
Some type of front suspension and K member (we are looking into MM)
In-expensive installation since the shop will be located in the chicagoland area.

If you are looking for a turbo kit, I highly suggest you save your pennies and WAIT for this kit. I hope we can get it out sometime this coming Summer but as any other company, we want it to be perfect before selling to the public. This will be tested on my car and a few well known cars on these boards before release to the public so you know exactly what to expect.

Anything else we should consider? Your help is greatly appreciated!

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
Hey, if you guys need a damn-near stock Cobra for a guinea pig, you can use mine! Your Cobra isn't like the majority of Cobras running around, so I hope they are making a kit more for cars that aren't so extreme...like mine. What's this kit gonna cost? Is it one of those things where if I have to ask, I can't afford it? LOL...!

-Mike

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
SALEENstang96 said:
Hey, if you guys need a damn-near stock Cobra for a guinea pig, you can use mine! Your Cobra isn't like the majority of Cobras running around, so I hope they are making a kit more for cars that aren't so extreme...like mine. What's this kit gonna cost? Is it one of those things where if I have to ask, I can't afford it? LOL...!

-Mike

under the competition. Hoping for $7000 as complete system, not sure yet depends on what suspension is used. thats the target though

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Boost12 said:
dam you guys with these turbo kits!! I better be able to hang with the new whipple and some spray :mad:

sell the whipple and n20 and get a turbo when the time comes :biggthump

my plan is simple with my car. Make what I did with a kb@21psi and 85 shot and racegas on the turbo car with pump gas. It should take about 15psi if that without nitrous

B

Boost12

SVTdubs said:
sell the whipple and n20 and get a turbo when the time comes :biggthump

my plan is simple with my car. Make what I did with a kb@21psi and 85 shot and racegas on the turbo car with pump gas. It should take about 15psi if that without nitrous
yea but I have gone through the whole turbo thing. Turbos are super inconsistant. They have to be Tuned for every change in weather/ Humidity and just the way they run is very odd sometimes. Im just gonna stick with the blower I think. Were gonna have to mess around in the spring time though Eric!!! :headbang:

Tranzlucent

Say When
Jun 7, 2004
I myself would be interested in an 88mm kit (cash in hand in 1 weeks notice) because Hellion told me that they would have to redo quite a bit of work to get me the 88mm kit ($$$$$$$) over the 6800 tag anyway. Plus I would still need an intake and quite a few other pieces.. If you could get everything together as a single package all except for tuning, you could easily corner the market. Hellion is very close to doing just that, just with the base 76mm kit. If you guys are looking for a straight up race car to test on (say 30+psi), let me know. I don't want anything free and I plan on paying for everything anyway, just let me know if you would like another car to try to test the limits of a very well built short block.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
ShelbyGuy said:
two smaller holes flow more than one big one, eddie! twin turbo sounds cooler anyway.
I had always wondered then, why do Supra owners typically go from twin turbo to a larger single turbo? Is it because of the sequential turbo's huge lag? I would think that one HUGE turbo would be better, although, I know that the bigger the turbo, the bigger the lag. Nitrous is a good idea for those cars, our Cobras shouldn't have a problem....we've got NA "torque." Without turbos, Supras are like Celicas, but bigger.

-Mike

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
SALEENstang96 said:
I had always wondered then, why do Supra owners typically go from twin turbo to a larger single turbo? Is it because of the sequential turbo's huge lag? I would think that one HUGE turbo would be better, although, I know that the bigger the turbo, the bigger the lag. Nitrous is a good idea for those cars, our Cobras shouldn't have a problem....we've got NA "torque." Without turbos, Supras are like Celicas, but bigger.

-Mike

Aren't supras an in line six. If they are, there's you're answer

V

venmousracer

The reason why supra's go to a single turbo setup is this. The supra motor is an inline 6, so you have 6 straight cylinders and two turbo's to turn vs a single, thus why they are more effient with a single turbo... Now us V8 guys, we are blessed with 4 cylinders on each side thus why running twin turbo's are so effective on our motor's, each turbo has a dedicated bank to work from.... I don't know if you can see my train of thaught... I am going to stick with my twin turbo setup, run the 60's this year and the following year run twin 67's nothing is cooler than saying I have twin turbo's!!!!! Eddie

B

Boost12

pretty sure you will make a shit load of power even with the smaller twins!! Sometimes smaller is better when it comes to turbos. I have 2 friends with supras. One makes 646whp on a 76trim and the other one makes over 700 on a bigger turbo but when they race the one with less power spools up faster and pulls like 2 cars all the way up until 170mph and then the bigger turbo pulls by. But I know with all my old turbo cars sometimes more power is not always better and I have always gone with having a little less power but getting it alot sooner in the RPM range is the way to go... just my 2 cents.

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
venmousracer said:
The reason why supra's go to a single turbo setup is this. The supra motor is an inline 6, so you have 6 straight cylinders and two turbo's to turn vs a single, thus why they are more effient with a single turbo... Now us V8 guys, we are blessed with 4 cylinders on each side thus why running twin turbo's are so effective on our motor's, each turbo has a dedicated bank to work from.... I don't know if you can see my train of thaught... I am going to stick with my twin turbo setup, run the 60's this year and the following year run twin 67's nothing is cooler than saying I have twin turbo's!!!!! Eddie
Sweet! Thanks for the info Eddie! It's just something that I have always wondered about in the back of my mind.

-Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info