• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Battery light comes and goes. Is alternator pulley too big?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Just got back from the dealer (Sutton):

My alternator is running 13.9 volts with accessories OFF. The tech told me to get a smaller alternator pulley, but stock is too small and my 3.2 metco alt pulley is too big. They don't make anything else.

I have a 3.1 upper, 6# lower and 3.2 alternator pulley.

The battery light comes on at redline, and goes away at shifting, and the battery light comes on sometimes when slowing to a stop, but goes away seconds later or after I put the car in gear and hit it again. THE CAR DOES NOT STALL. I do lose some accessories when this happens, like I notice my traction control won't turn on/off when the battery light is on.

First idea is to swap out the stock battery since I stored it the first winter 2 years ago without charging the battery for 4 months.

Second idea is change to a 4# lower and 2.93 upper to spin the 3.2 pulley faster?

Thoughts, comments.

Mike

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
ChicagoMike said:
Just got back from the dealer (Sutton):

My alternator is running 13.9 volts with accessories OFF. The tech told me to get a smaller alternator pulley, but stock is too small and my 3.2 metco alt pulley is too big. They don't make anything else.

I have a 3.1 upper, 6# lower and 3.2 alternator pulley.

The battery light comes on at redline, and goes away at shifting, and the battery light comes on sometimes when slowing to a stop, but goes away seconds later or after I put the car in gear and hit it again. THE CAR DOES NOT STALL. I do lose some accessories when this happens, like I notice my traction control won't turn on/off when the battery light is on.

First idea is to swap out the stock battery since I stored it the first winter 2 years ago without charging the battery for 4 months.

Second idea is change to a 4# lower and 2.93 upper to spin the 3.2 pulley faster?

Thoughts, comments.

Mike
I thought a 3.2 was recommended by metco for 4# or higher. How are your battery connections.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
Sounds like me. Well, I am getting ready to store the car for the winter and it's just about depleted my funds, so I will put the car away and in the spring ... = new battery, alternator ... and hopefully the Hermann tune then I'm all set finally! (just got the new Steig re-port too hehe)

Mike

Flyn high again said:
my battery light started coming on under full throttle just before my alternator failed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• C
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list