• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Looking For a Motor

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
Im almost turning 140,000mi on the Cobra. The motor is still very smooth and takes very little oil. Even after being sprayed. Im impressed. But lately I have been thinking of getting a motor ready stuffed w/ the best parts and strapping a set of long tubes on it and putting it in the minute this motor shows signs of weakness. Im shooting for 400hp+ N/A. Has anyone swapped motors on these yet? Do any of you know where I could get a used 32V motor for cheap? I want to put in forged rods, pistons etc. I have a machine shop I deal with to do the motor machining but I will put it together. I want to drive the car while Im gathering parts and I need a winter project.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
32v 4.6's are plentiful. Just go get an Old Lincoln Mk 8. Aluminum block too IIRC. :cool:
Check out TTCoA (Thunderbird Cougar Car Club of America). The Mk 8 is a MN12 platform car (like the Tbirds/Cougars 89 - 97) and lots of Mk 8's hang there for performance advice.
Not sure about Bellhousing bolt patterns or Motormounts, etc - Never tried a Lincoln/Cobra swap.

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
11:1 with shm stage II w/2.474 lift and 225 dur@ .050 lift should get me 400HP with some head porting and intake porting. With 4.10's and DR's I should make 11's and with the juice low 11's. . Im not worried about the cams or the compression or resulting low vacuum because the brake booster. I dont want to go with the 5.4 because I dont think it would fit.(I may be wrong) I never thought about the lincolns though thanks. I will start looking tommorrow.

V

venmousracer

Just get a used mark 8 motor plentyful at the salvage yards
do a strocker kit with high compression
port the heads and intake
add some crower cams or VT engines cams
with every bolt on and a tune you should be able to make lil over 400rwhp...Eddie

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
why do you say that? there's at least two crate motors in the ford racing catalog that fit his criteria.

start with m-6007-t50ea. comes with 12 month/12,000 mile warranty too.

having built plenty of non-small block chevy engines, i consider $15k for turn-key-and-go to be a good deal. consider i have roughly twice that in my shelby's engine (+.040 428, 461hp@3700, 490lb-ft@2100) because the first shop screwed up the machine work.

if you dont mind an iron block, you could always scrounge stuff. a new f150 block (which is what 03/04 cobra have) is $250. i have a cobra crank and bare '99 heads i'll let go REALLY CHEAP. any of the guys who went with the billet oliver rods will have their svt manley rods leftover. check for straightness, new bolts, and hav ea nice day.

karkraft.com has blocks and since they're in michigan shipping wont kill you. scott might be a bit of a pirate, but his stuff is what he says it is. i know the guy from his boss 429 days.

hj16 said:
That could prove difficult

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
I know the power could be squeezed. 400 at the motor is mild. I dont go by rwp simply because now you are getting into parasitic loss like the mass of your rims and tire factored in. Notice when they say loss they use words like "about 20%." Nobody knows for sure because every car is different. If my motor was making 300 and I lost 20% I would only be making 250 to the rear wheels. Consequently if my car was making 900 now I would only be making 750 to the rear wheels. Some how I now lose 150 horsepower turning my wheels vs. the 50 it took stock. You see B.S. And you really cant go by the dyno to get true motor hp since you dont know your loss is to begin with. The europeons measure in kW which is probably more accurate. I once had a ricer tell me his civic V-tec made about 260 rwp at the motor..... Its looking like the supercharger is the way to go to make the power. But the motor is still going to have to be built up with forged pistons and rods. I will find a lincoln motor and start tearing it down. After the block gets machined I will probably get the pistons. The 5.4 idea is ok but I think it would be hard to shoehorn that motor into a car that already had to have a bulge in the hood to fit the motor I got.

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Aug 30, 2004
you should be able to fit a navigator longblock in a cobra. It all is gonna come down to your lower intake. The one they use is crazy and taller than it needs to be.

find a low milage 2003-2004 naivgator engine (t56 bolts up fine I think, lightning tranny too?) and either find a different aftermarket intake manifold or have one built. Or possibly use the stocker with a bigger hood?

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
1996 Motor w/110,000 ran before the car was totaled 215.00 otd. Crank pistons and rods are getting junked unless anyone wants em. Crank is 6-bolt. Aluminum IMRC plates, motor is clean build date of 10/11/95. Teksid aluminum block. Thinking about horsepower, rod- piston combos now.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Snowman said:
1996 Motor w/110,000 ran before the car was totaled 215.00 otd. Crank pistons and rods are getting junked unless anyone wants em. Crank is 6-bolt. Aluminum IMRC plates, motor is clean build date of 10/11/95. Teksid aluminum block. Thinking about horsepower, rod- piston combos now.

If you are just going to pitch the rotating assy then I'd like just one piston/rod assy please. I want to have it to compare with my little 3.4 L DOHC pistons.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info