• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

KaBOOM!!!!

SLVR03

Aug 7, 2005
As I write this right now I am scented with the clutch fibers that decided to travel through my vents while launching my car. The tow truck driver nearly had to put his shirt over his nose, it smelled so bad. Good news is I am finally going to get some upgrades. Hmmmm.....Bad news I am stuck with out the Cobra for the rest of the season. I want to do this right.. Where is everyone going for the input/output shaft upgrade parts, and what clutch do I go with??? I want something that will handle 650whp. Can I use my stock flywheel?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
chances are you'll need your stock flywheel rebuilt.

most common clutch upgrades at your power level seem to be:
fidanza aluminum flywheel
centerforce dfx clutch & pp
liberty's gear or d&d 26 spline input shaft

thats the basics. there are other things you can do to upgrade it to viper spec, but some require machine work.

im confused. did your clutch explode, or just slip a lot?

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Get the Liberty Gears 26 spline input shaft. "Spec 3 i" remember the "i".
McLeod Twin Disc....I am NOT sure I like yet. A CF DFX has been praised on these boards. Fidanza Flywheels offer a replaceable surface disc so you would like that.

It all depends on how many passes you intend on taking, as well as how many you already did before I would comment about the trans.

SLVR03

Aug 7, 2005
I got a price of 299.99 for the 26 spline input shaft and 250.00 for installation (bringing trans to them). The liberty 26 slpine input shaft is the same thing right? Becuase that is only $240. I think that the install quote is a bit high aswell. Also I have been calling around to get prices on the CF DFX clutch and can't get anyone to really know what I am talking about. Is the DFX going to be too much for the street? I have heard good things about the Spec 3 (what does the "i" mean). Also is our stock flywheel an aluminum one? And if it is still in good shape, why would I want to upgrade it?
ShelbyGuy: It went from working great to being stuck in gear and smoke pouring through the vents, to not exsisting and having no grab AT ALL!!!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
SLVR03 said:
I got a price of 299.99 for the 26 spline input shaft and 250.00 for installation (bringing trans to them). The liberty 26 slpine input shaft is the same thing right? Becuase that is only $240. I think that the install quote is a bit high aswell. Also I have been calling around to get prices on the CF DFX clutch and can't get anyone to really know what I am talking about. Is the DFX going to be too much for the street? I have heard good things about the Spec 3 (what does the "i" mean). Also is our stock flywheel an aluminum one? And if it is still in good shape, why would I want to upgrade it?
ShelbyGuy: It went from working great to being stuck in gear and smoke pouring through the vents, to not exsisting and having no grab AT ALL!!!

Get the input shaft from Liberty. It is a quality piece. and the price is right.
Install is about an hour, maybe less if you have done it before, so go from there for the labor charge.
I could do it for you in a couple of weeks, if you aren't in a hurry.

Call Lethal Performance, I think they are in Florida, for the clutch. Decent prices.

Your stock FW will be junk if it was slipping at all. Yes, it is aluminum with a steel insert. Although they can be resurfaced, they are not really made to have it done. You are probably better off using the Fidanza wheel which has a replaceable steel section and can be reworked.
You mentioned 650 HP, so the DFX is what you want, not the DF. It won't take the abuse. I know. HA! HA!

If you don't have them already, get an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Dana

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info