• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lets talk brakes...

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Ummnn, you want to hear something crazy?

Brakes don't stop your car, your tires do. Upgrade to a stickier tire up front for quicker stops. Get a sticky enough tire and your ABS may not even activate because the tire grip will exceed the performance of the brakes. Then you will need higher performance pads.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
On that note, Vince, what size tire and manufacturer do you road racers use???

I was using BFGoodrich KD's. (A high performance street tire) 275/40/17 Traction AA Treadwear 200.

Now I am using Nitto 555R2's (A introductory R type tire designed for road racing) 275/40/17 Traction A Treadwear 100.

The most mportant number for stopping imo is the treadwear. Lower treadwear generally means better grip. This is of course you are talking about a quality tire. As I am sure one could design a cheap tire with low treadwear that doesn't grip.

I like to keep the tires @ 275/40/17 for now since they are affordable and can be rotated front to back. Some guys go wider in the back but can't rotate. If I had the money I would get 18" rims/tires and get the large stoptech brakes. But I need more reserve capacity in my brakes slowing down from 100MPH every 20 seconds or so than someone on the street that does a panic stop.

On the street you only need good pads and good tires since you would never expect to apply the brakes more than 10 seconds or so. Even a panic stop from 100 MPH (One time), will not overheat most pads and will not boil your fluid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info