• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

South Side & NW Indiana High Octane Users

Mar 26, 2004
I've been using Rockett Brand 100 Octane (found at Gas City's). Yes it's convenient, but after further research it is crap fuel.

I'm buying either a 54 gallon or 30 gallon drum of VP Racing Fuels StreeBlaze 103. This fuel is the highest octane unleaded street fuel in the USA :headbang:

Spec Gravity @ 60 F - .743
Motor Octane - 99
R+M/2 (method used at the pump) - 103
Research Octane - 107
Lead - No
Oxygenated - Yes
Color - Red

I'm just gauging interest to see if anyone local would want to buy fuel (and how often). I'm not looking to turn my garadge into a gas station, but the larger barrel and the quicker use (less storage time) between drums sounds good.

54 Gallon Drum - ~ $6.80 a gallon
:eek: :eek:

Let me know, I have 10 gallons I'm trying now...

www.vpracingfuels.com

Mar 26, 2004
CobraSusie said:
Yeah, I am kind of curious too, as my brothers use this in their cars,
can you post up the review? :confused:

Let me ellaborate. The fuel itself (Rockett brand) is fine if you are getting virgin fuel (out of a drum). The problem is two fold:

1) Gas station tanks are always vented to atmosphere. By the time you pump it in your car the octane is much lower.
2) You have no idea how long the fuel has been sitting in the tanks, which magnifies problem one above. Your high octane properties have already evaportated...

So its not the fuel per say, its their delivery method. Don't shoot the messenger...

Mar 26, 2004
gnxs said:
What research are you referring to and why exactly is it "crap fuel"? :confused:

The "research" I am referring to was phone discussions I had with application engineers from three competing race fuel suppliers (one sells at the pump thru chain gas stations as well).

Maybe your gas city has a purpose built tank and pumps high volume :dunno: The one I pump from in Dyer doesn't appear to generate much volume. The race fuel apparently is much more sensitive to light & atmosphere. Maybe someone who owns a gas station will chime in.

I've used VP fuels on my MX bikes with no problems...

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
03'CobraVert-10th said:
The "research" I am referring to was phone discussions I had with application engineers from three competing race fuel suppliers (one sells at the pump thru chain gas stations as well).

Maybe your gas city has a purpose built tank and pumps high volume :dunno: The one I pump from in Dyer doesn't appear to generate much volume. The race fuel apparently is much more sensitive to light & atmosphere. Maybe someone who owns a gas station will chime in.

I've used VP fuels on my MX bikes with no problems...

I would suspect (no proof) that you would get a true 100 octane at any station with decent volume. Like you said, if it's a station that may have had the same load of fuel for a month or more, then you might need to be worried.

Gas City is too expensive anyway, but there are some local stations carrying Cam2 that are more reasonable and do heavy volume in 100 unleaded.

JeffsLightning said:
Since your in St. John you should go to Speedway on Rt 30. On the south side of the street almost to RT 65. They have 104 unleaded cam 2 fuel at a seperate pump for 4.29 a galllon. That price was 2 days ago though...Way better that the Gas city junk...

Which Speedway on 30? Isnt there about 5 of them in Dyer?.............Lyle

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
i call bs on the "its bad to sell racing gas from a vented tank" thing since thats how its sold at the racetrack....

I agree. Gasoline will evaporate, but it should be a steady rate. No individual component has a boiling point relatively higher than the others, so it's not like evaporating salt water (some stuff stays, some stuff leaves). I've never heard of gas losing octane from getting old. I could ask a buddy of mine who is a chemical engineer for Mobil though.

$6.80 a gallon is really expensive for only 103. If you're into it, you can mix some of your own. Tolulene (114 octane) mixed with some 93 or even 100 makes a nice stable fuel. You have to throw some additives in there (like tranny fluid), but it's way cheaper than $6.80 a gallon.

Mar 26, 2004
JeffsLightning said:
Just got back from that Speedway with the Cam 2 104 unleaded and it was 4.29 a gallon....Stocked up on some.. :p Such a deal with regular gas prices approaching that mark.. :eek:

CAM2 Fuel Property Typical Specifications:
Specific Gravity 0.764
(R+M)/2: 100
RON, Research Octane: 105
*** MON, Motor Octane: 95
Reid Vapor Pressure: 6.5
Distillation, ÂşF
Initial Boiling Point: 90
10% Evaporation: 150
50% Evaporation: 210
90% Evaporation: 230
Final Boiling Point: 260
Oxidation Stability, Min: 1440+
Copper Strip Corrosion: No. 1
Existent Gum, mg/100ml: 1
Leaded: No
Color: Clear
Oxygen, Wt.%: 3.5

VP103:

Spec Gravity @ 60Ů’ F: .743
*** Motor Octane: 99
R+M/2: 103
Research Octane: 107
Reid Vapor Pressure: 2.86
Distillation FŮ’
Initial Boiling Point
10% Evap.: 190
50% Evap.: 210.4
90% Evap.: 217.1
E.P.: 225.7
Lead: No
Oxygenated: Yes
Color: Red

Comparing apples & oranges... :rolleyes:

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
dun4791 said:
Might be interested if you get it before MSC4. 10 gal

Otherwise anyone know where they do a decent volume on the southside NW Indiana?>.............................Lyle
There are 3 places right by my house that sell race fuel, let me know what octane you want, and I will go and check the price, they are all within (1-2 miles from the house)
so its no trouble :biggthump

Mar 26, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
i call bs on the "its bad to sell racing gas from a vented tank" thing since thats how its sold at the racetrack....

Where did you read that quote? Yes it is bad when it sits for how long? & it is constantly vented :nono:

Opinions are like.... Oh never mind. Maybe a new thread to debate chemistry skills :argue: Leave this one for potential VP users...

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
03'CobraVert-10th said:
Where did you read that quote? Yes it is bad when it sits for how long? & it is constantly vented :nono:

Opinions are like.... Oh never mind. Maybe a new thread to debate chemistry skills :argue: Leave this one for potential VP users...

Not for $6.80 a gallon.

Just an FYI.....You can also get 104 octane unleaded at Byron for $5.00 a gallon (last time I was there a few weeks ago).

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
03'CobraVert-10th said:
CAM2 Fuel Property Typical Specifications:
Specific Gravity 0.764
(R+M)/2: 100
RON, Research Octane: 105
*** MON, Motor Octane: 95
Reid Vapor Pressure: 6.5
Distillation, ÂşF
Initial Boiling Point: 90
10% Evaporation: 150
50% Evaporation: 210
90% Evaporation: 230
Final Boiling Point: 260
Oxidation Stability, Min: 1440+
Copper Strip Corrosion: No. 1
Existent Gum, mg/100ml: 1
Leaded: No
Color: Clear
Oxygen, Wt.%: 3.5

VP103:

Spec Gravity @ 60Ů’ F: .743
*** Motor Octane: 99
R+M/2: 103
Research Octane: 107
Reid Vapor Pressure: 2.86
Distillation FŮ’
Initial Boiling Point
10% Evap.: 190
50% Evap.: 210.4
90% Evap.: 217.1
E.P.: 225.7
Lead: No
Oxygenated: Yes
Color: Red

Comparing apples & oranges... :rolleyes:

Have you been to this station that has the fuel? FYI Cam 2 is made by Sunoco... This is what they have there....NOT the 100 octane... :rolleyes:
SUNOCO GT PLUS UNLEADED RACING GASOLINE

Sunoco's high performance unleaded racing fuel created for race cars, bikes, and boats with compression ratios up to 14:1. GT Plus is designed with the professional racer in mind, and should not be used on the street.

Fuel Property Typical Specifications

Specific Gravity .735

Pump Octane (R+M)/2 104

Reid Vapor Pressure 9
Distillation, ÂşF
Initial Boiling Point 100
10% Evaporation 135
50% Evaporation 200
90% Evaporation 230
Final Boiling Point 255
Color Light Blue

Mar 26, 2004
JeffsLightning said:
Have you been to this station that has the fuel? FYI Cam 2 is made by Sunoco... This is what they have there....NOT the 100 octane... :rolleyes:
SUNOCO GT PLUS UNLEADED RACING GASOLINE

Sunoco's high performance unleaded racing fuel created for race cars, bikes, and boats with compression ratios up to 14:1. GT Plus is designed with the professional racer in mind, and should not be used on the street.

Fuel Property Typical Specifications

Specific Gravity .735

Pump Octane (R+M)/2 104

Reid Vapor Pressure 9
Distillation, ÂşF
Initial Boiling Point 100
10% Evaporation 135
50% Evaporation 200
90% Evaporation 230
Final Boiling Point 255
Color Light Blue

Which station? You edited your post and took the directions off :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info