• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Difficult to Install Water Temp Gauge?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Just wondering if it's very difficult to install the Autometer Lunar Water Temp Guage. I know there is already a plug in the block that you can use, but I've also heard of people putting it right between #7 and #8 (where the deadly heat is supposed to build up) and that's what I'd really like to do. It's one of many parts sitting waiting to get installed, and just wondering how long it would take to install.

(mainly so I know how much beer I'll need when I start begging for help with installing everything... :alcoholic )

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
DSG03COBRA said:
Just wondering if it's very difficult to install the Autometer Lunar Water Temp Guage. I know there is already a plug in the block that you can use, but I've also heard of people putting it right between #7 and #8 (where the deadly heat is supposed to build up) and that's what I'd really like to do. It's one of many parts sitting waiting to get installed, and just wondering how long it would take to install.

(mainly so I know how much beer I'll need when I start begging for help with installing everything... :alcoholic )

Not too bad. 2 ~ 8 hours depending on how anal you are w/ the install.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Mystic Terminator said:
Not too bad. 2 ~ 8 hours depending on how anal you are w/ the install.

:eek: Holy crap...wasn't figuring 8 hours for a single guage.

Flyn high again said:
Put our cooling mod on to help prevent that heat buildup.

Yeah, I'm planning on installing it eventually, but I'll probably wait until I get a new clutch and kill 2 birds with one stone. I haven't heard from anyone what the cost would be to just have the cooling mod installed...any guesses? You guys ever have an install party for those puppies? :D No worries though...you'll get my money soon enough. ;)

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
DSG03COBRA said:
:eek: Holy crap...wasn't figuring 8 hours for a single guage.

Yeah, I'm planning on installing it eventually, but I'll probably wait until I get a new clutch and kill 2 birds with one stone. I haven't heard from anyone what the cost would be to just have the cooling mod installed...any guesses? You guys ever have an install party for those puppies? :D No worries though...you'll get my money soon enough. ;)

Are you putting it in a pillar pod, dash pod, does it have to be painted? Solder wires, run power, ground to the sender, tap into instrumentation lighting. Might be better to do (2) gauges @ a time.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Mystic Terminator said:
Are you putting it in a pillar pod, dash pod, does it have to be painted? Solder wires, run power, ground to the sender, tap into instrumentation lighting. Might be better to do (2) gauges @ a time.

Yup, I've got the Water Temp and Boost guages to be put in at the same time. They'll be going into a Speed of Sound A-Pillar that is a direct replacement for the stock pillar. I believe the temp sensor has a sender that goes right into the block, and then just a ground and a hot wire for the backlighting, which get tapped into the instrumentation lighting so they're only on when the dash is lit up.

I guess I just didn't realize that running a couple wires and splicing into a few more could take upwards of an entire day. :dunno: Was hoping to bribe the wife for a full day of messing with the car and wanted to install: LFP H/E, BF IRS Brace, LFP IC Reservoir, Water Temp guage, Boost guage, and SOS A-Pillar. Think this could all be taken care of in a long morning into the afternoon?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Speed of sound A-Pillar is much easier than say a Autometer Dash Pod. You should be able to do both gauges in 2 ~ 4 hours. Just run two wires from the gauge toward the sender and ground one of the wires near the sender. Keeping the wires equal length and the same gauge wire help ensure accuracy since the gauge does a comparisson between both to read resistance of the sender.

DSG03COBRA said:
Yup, I've got the Water Temp and Boost guages to be put in at the same time. They'll be going into a Speed of Sound A-Pillar that is a direct replacement for the stock pillar. I believe the temp sensor has a sender that goes right into the block, and then just a ground and a hot wire for the backlighting, which get tapped into the instrumentation lighting so they're only on when the dash is lit up.

I guess I just didn't realize that running a couple wires and splicing into a few more could take upwards of an entire day. :dunno: Was hoping to bribe the wife for a full day of messing with the car and wanted to install: LFP H/E, BF IRS Brace, LFP IC Reservoir, Water Temp guage, Boost guage, and SOS A-Pillar. Think this could all be taken care of in a long morning into the afternoon?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mystic Terminator said:
Speed of sound A-Pillar is much easier than say a Autometer Dash Pod. You should be able to do both gauges in 2 ~ 4 hours. Just run two wires from the gauge toward the sender and ground one of the wires near the sender. Keeping the wires equal length and the same gauge wire help ensure accurach since the gauge does a comparisson between both to read resistance of the sender.

Good info, Vince.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• DSG03COBRA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list