• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

tps ????

jfranci3

Regular
May 13, 2005
TPS? There's some info in this report
memo.jpg

http://www.wormulon.net/files/TPSreport.pdf

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
Jump To Conclusions!

At Idle the Tps should be .5 to 1.0 volts dc if I recall. At wide open throttle (wot) the reading should be 4.0 to 5.0 volts. There are three wires that plug into the thing, from top to bottom: a signal, a ground, and a reference voltage of 5.0 volts. The 5.0 volts comes out of the computer. Except for the o2 sensors and the knock sensor pretty much everything else fed to the computer is refe'd to 5.0 volts. If you are not getting 5.0 Volts you may have a bad ground. That kind of crap will throw all kinds of codes and the car will get real stupid on you. There is a whole lot of trouble shooting there. But first things first. Check the actual throttle valve and make sure that when someone ground floors the car the blade or blades open fully. You will have to remove the inlet to the throttle valve and someone in the car for this. You wont beleive how many fords come out of the factory like this. Or guys that have thou$ands into their cars only to have their blades open 90-95% of the way. What year is your Stang?

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
Is the car running bad? If there mesuring by % Assume 100% is 5.0 volts then 92.6% would be about 4.63 volts at wot ( 4.0 to 5.0VDC). 18% would be .9 volts (.5 to 1.0VDC) so your car is in range. If its a 96 its similar to my 98 enough that you pobably got the same everything. I you want I can tell you how I check the voltage on these with a Digital Meter.

dohc97

resident mexican
Mar 21, 2005
Snowman said:
Is the car running bad? If there mesuring by % Assume 100% is 5.0 volts then 92.6% would be about 4.63 volts at wot ( 4.0 to 5.0VDC). 18% would be .9 volts (.5 to 1.0VDC) so your car is in range. If its a 96 its similar to my 98 enough that you pobably got the same everything. I you want I can tell you how I check the voltage on these with a Digital Meter.
Actually the ecm's understanding of tps voltage differs from what you stated. Im not sure of the voltage range at idle but your estimation is pretty close, what is off is you guessing that 18% throttle equals .9 volts. The scale basically works off the allowable range, so say if the top range at idle is 1 volt that equals 0% and it goes to 5 volts=100%. Almost any quality scan tool will give you both the percentage and the voltage, look for it. I could almost bet your voltage will be closer to 2. on old 5.0's i know that the tps was adjustable, dont know on these cobras. If its non adjustable, you might need a new tps, its a fairly common problem on a lot of cars, specially gm ones.

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
When you hook it to the Scan tool see if you get a repeatable reading. Move the throttle back and forth slowly and see if it returns to the same spot on the scan %. If not It probably needs replacement. Replace it with the ford part and not anything else. The aftermarket stuff is good for brake and lights and crap but for engine/computer stuff spend a few bucks more and get genuine ford. I bought a napa ect sender and it ran in error about three months after putting it in. The same problem I had came back. The sensor kept telling the computer that the engine was colder than it really was and would start too rich and flood the engine when it was warm. I bought the ford part in and never had that problem again.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Snowman said:
When you hook it to the Scan tool see if you get a repeatable reading. Move the throttle back and forth slowly and see if it returns to the same spot on the scan %. If not It probably needs replacement. Replace it with the ford part and not anything else. The aftermarket stuff is good for brake and lights and crap but for engine/computer stuff spend a few bucks more and get genuine ford. I bought a napa ect sender and it ran in error about three months after putting it in. The same problem I had came back. The sensor kept telling the computer that the engine was colder than it really was and would start too rich and flood the engine when it was warm. I bought the ford part in and never had that problem again.

cool thanks for the advice, ill check the scan tool as soon as i can, i was going to today but my buddy had work. ill keep you posted

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
dohc97 said:
I just checked on advanced auto parts and it seems that its 45 dollars, not bad. What type of scanner are you guys using? i have experience with several of the profesional ones out there such as snap on, matco, mac.

well i talked to my buddy on the phone today briefly he said his scan tool was like a adtron? at least thats what it sounded like over the phone....idk if that helps any..

dohc97

resident mexican
Mar 21, 2005
thats the generic scan tool from autozone, its actron i believe your not going to get much info with that one. If you really want to be sure you can let me know and if you dont mind driving into town i can scan it with the snap on scanner which is a lot better and provides more in the datastream.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info