• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LTs wasting away... advice?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Argh...

Ducked underneath the Cobra a few days ago and noticed the Kooks are in pretty bad shape. The ceramic coating has completely gone to hell. Its flaking off in areas, its bubbling and browning in areas....aka they look like a set of 40 year old backwoods Headers instead of the $800 Kooks "We make the best headers in the world :rolleyes: " Longtubes they are.

Im thinking of hitting up JDM to see if they'll recoat them...but then I thought..."this shit will just happen again 2 years from now, do I really want them back?"....answer: no. I remember reading about someone on MF that had the same issue and ended up getting SS ones from JDM as a replacment. Now that I could actually bring myself to do the install again.

Anyways....what do you think I should do?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
hj16 said:
Argh...

Ducked underneath the Cobra a few days ago and noticed the Kooks are in pretty bad shape. The ceramic coating has completely gone to hell. Its flaking off in areas, its bubbling and browning in areas....aka they look like a set of 40 year old backwoods Headers instead of the $800 Kooks "We make the best headers in the world :rolleyes: " Longtubes they are.

Im thinking of hitting up JDM to see if they'll recoat them...but then I thought..."this shit will just happen again 2 years from now, do I really want them back?"....answer: no. I remember reading about someone on MF that had the same issue and ended up getting SS ones from JDM as a replacment. Now that I could actually bring myself to do the install again.

Anyways....what do you think I should do?

I Think you should try and organize a GP on Stainless Steel ones. There might be enough interest between here and the other boards.

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
Hank, considering Kook's reputation , I would talk to them first about making this right. I don't know how long you've had them, but it can't be more than a couple of years... the coating should not be flaking off.

And if they give you a hard time, we'll boycott their ass!!! :headbang:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
welcome to the wonderful world of tubular exhaust headers.

bottom line is that headers suck and are more trouble than they're worth.

how about a group purchase on having the stock manifolds extrude-honed...........?

the manifolds on these cars are actually nicely flowing.

03mineralg

If you can get 600 rwhp with these stock manifolds i wouldnt say that they are junk. If you want junk just look at the old 5.0 manifolds, even though thay had a tubular design they were pinched badley. I have not seen a test yet that showed the long tubes were worth the hassle with the normal numbers of 450 to 550 rwhp. Above that sure.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
you're asking the wrong people.

i fail to see how flat spots, pinholes, leaking flanges and leaking slip joints are an improvement.

never mind that they're all 4 into 1 when the optimum design for a street car is a tri-y.....

i'll continue to go faster with the trouble-free exhaust manifolds, thanks.

Jay Vicious said:
so many people have said otherwise, i looked also into this and most say ditch the manifolds :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info