• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Is a tune needed when installing a K&N FIPK

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
I dynoed a car that was BONE stock with the exception of a K&N FIPK at the MMA dyno day a few months back. When i started the dyno run, the car was 14 to 1 a/f up to about 3k rpm.... to say I was surprised was an understatement and I stopped the pull IMMEDIATELY... I contacted Chris Johnson immediately after that run and asked him what he thought.. he said, of the HUNDREDS of 03/04 cobras he has dynoed, the K&N FIPK makes the cars run SO LEAN that he has a special program just for the K&N ... not even a pulley.. he said he adds almost 20% of fuel throughout the entire range (which brings the a/f from 14 to 1 to about 11.5 to 1)...

so, to answer your question, YES it does... all you need to do is dyno your car and you will see what I mean..

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
kurganmotorsports said:
I dynoed a car that was BONE stock with the exception of a K&N FIPK at the MMA dyno day a few months back. When i started the dyno run, the car was 14 to 1 a/f up to about 3k rpm.... to say I was surprised was an understatement and I stopped the pull IMMEDIATELY... I contacted Chris Johnson immediately after that run and asked him what he thought.. he said, of the HUNDREDS of 03/04 cobras he has dynoed, the K&N FIPK makes the cars run SO LEAN that he has a special program just for the K&N ... not even a pulley.. he said he adds almost 20% of fuel throughout the entire range (which brings the a/f from 14 to 1 to about 11.5 to 1)...

so, to answer your question, YES it does... all you need to do is dyno your car and you will see what I mean..

I have had my car dynoed both before and after and my A/F was still dropping off the graph at higher rpms. Too rich rather than too lean. :dunno:

A dyno run with A/F testing is always a good idea after any mod that may affect it.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
kurganmotorsports said:

I had mine dynod when I had only K&N FIPK and the flowmaster catback.... not only was it NOT lean, but it was VERY rich... especially up top. I guess that just proves that every car is different. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info