• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LM1 Inductive Clamp Instructions 2003 2004 Cobra

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks to the help of Shelby Guy for directing me in the right direction with the Test Lead for the inductive clamp. I did not use a tach adapter. Once connected and positioned correctly I was able to log with the LM1 with RPM using both the converter and the inductive clamp. Using logworks I was able to do real time logging with both a laptop and/ or the LM1 unit alone. If you have a laptop you can make virtual gauges using logworks and can always play back through virtual gauges or while you are driving.

Suggestions: If you plan on buying a full functioning XC2 with datalogging capability, you won't need the LM1, you could get away with the LC1, and you will not need the inductive clamp, but you will have to use a formula to set up the output to the XC2. Carl or Larry can jump in with those formulas. SCT's XC2 allows for datalogging without having to splice into wires etc.

If you just want to datalog Air/ Fuel and RPM's then you will need the LM1. You can record using just the LM1 and then later download to a laptop to analyze. The RPM converter allows for 4 other 0-5V loggings.

I attached some pictures to help if you need them.

Attachments

• DSC02062.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC02063.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC02064.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02066.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02065.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 59
  • WorksGauges.bmp
    173.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Setting Up RPM.bmp
    223.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Log.bmp
    146.8 KB · Views: 63

V8Mustang

Oct 7, 2005
I tried this method to monitor the Rs and I did not have much luck. Idle seemed accurate but holding the engine at 1,200 gave eratic results (laptop showed an RPM range of 900 - about 1,300 - bouncing).

I moved the clamp around quite a bit but no help.

Any tricks to get a clean signal from this "test" terminal?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Are you recording or just viewing as you rev? Try recording, take it for a drive around the block and see how it measures out. You can always replay it using logworks. I know there was a beta version of the new logworks, but I haven't played with it much, since I got what I needed by datalogging RPM's and A/F. Are you local Chicago?

If you see a few spikes, you can smooth them out... if you see consisten spikes, make sure the clamp is completey closed on the test lead.

Another thing... I have lost a few 4th gear pulls because logworks errored out on me. To make sure this didn't happen again... I manually started the record button on the LM1, since it holds 45 minutes worth, and then record on the laptop as well. That way if Logworks errored out, you still have the recording on the LM1 that you can dowload later using logworks.

V8Mustang

Oct 7, 2005
Flatliner said:
Are you recording or just viewing as you rev? Try recording, take it for a drive around the block and see how it measures out. You can always replay it using logworks. I know there was a beta version of the new logworks, but I haven't played with it much, since I got what I needed by datalogging RPM's and A/F. Are you local Chicago?

If you see a few spikes, you can smooth them out... if you see consisten spikes, make sure the clamp is completey closed on the test lead.

Another thing... I have lost a few 4th gear pulls because logworks errored out on me. To make sure this didn't happen again... I manually started the record button on the LM1, since it holds 45 minutes worth, and then record on the laptop as well. That way if Logworks errored out, you still have the recording on the LM1 that you can dowload later using logworks.

Thanks for the response. I am not local to Chicago but appreciate the offer (I am in S. FL). I did obtain the beta version before I started - maybe this is the problem.

No, I did not try driving the car but I will do that and the other things you have suggested. I really hope I can get it to work b/c I would hate to splice into the factory wiring for the tach adapter.

Thanks again!

V8Mustang

Oct 7, 2005
Okay. I'm still trying. Ditched the laptop and just trying the LM-1's "record" feature.

I logged a few min of data and then ran in 1st & 2nd up to about 6K and 5K, respectively.

Downloaded the info to my computer, I see the AFR but the Rs are way off.

Any suggestions????

Attachments

• cobraRPM.jpg
    cobraRPM.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 192

V8Mustang

Oct 7, 2005
V8Mustang said:
Okay. I'm still trying. Ditched the laptop and just trying the LM-1's "record" feature.

I logged a few min of data and then ran in 1st & 2nd up to about 6K and 5K, respectively.

Downloaded the info to my computer, I see the AFR but the Rs are way off.

Any suggestions????

Okay. After enough thinking and reading, I've got it figured out. Hook everything up as described above. Then you have to do the auto calibration with the RPM converter. Shown in the manual, push the little button, get the Rs up to 2k, hold until the red led stops blinking. You are done. I did two light throttle runs up to 5K and you can see the converter shows that. Thanks to Shelbyguy and Flatliner!!!!!

I really did not want to install the tach adapter - thanks!

Attachments

• cobraRPMii.jpg
    cobraRPMii.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 189
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info