• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Stock upper pulley with a larger lower pulley?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
how did you arrive at the conclusion that doing the crank pulley and alternator pulley is somehow easier than doing the blower pulley?

vendors:
upper pulley: billet flow
lower pulley: metco

also understand you will need a flash tuner, a tune, and a trip to the dyno to verify the tune and collect data for the retune (if you're going with mail order tunes). you may also need a recalibrated MAF sensor such as SCT 2400 or Diablosport MAFia (depending on which your tuner prefers). I was very close to pegging my MAF sensor with just a 2.93, intake, and cat-back. im also in the >90% duty cycle range with my fuel pumps.

just so you know what you're getting yourself into.

StangJason said:
I want equivalent boost to a 2.93 to 3.00 upper pulley but I want to do it with the lower pulley because of the ease of installation on and off. My question is what pulley(s) do I need and who do I buy them from? Do I need an alternator pulley to keep from destroying my alternator?

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Jay Vicious said:
i too have been looking into a lower but 400 is not what i want to spend for that plus tune but question is which is better on the motor to run lower or upper

It really doesn't matter to the motor-the larger crank pulley will have a negligeable effect on your motor. You will get more surface area out of a larger upper and less slip, which is better. I went with a 3.5 upper on my KB and 6 lb lower. Virtually no belt slip and 18lbs of boost

StangJason

Jun 11, 2005
ShelbyGuy said:
how did you arrive at the conclusion that doing the crank pulley and alternator pulley is somehow easier than doing the blower pulley?

I was told this by a local tuner so I'll have to bring this up to him. I guess since I've only owned 5.0L Mustangs in the past I'm very gullible when I'm told a crank pulley is an easy install :confused:

ShelbyGuy said:
vendors:
upper pulley: billet flow
lower pulley: metco

also understand you will need a flash tuner, a tune, and a trip to the dyno to verify the tune and collect data for the retune (if you're going with mail order tunes). you may also need a recalibrated MAF sensor such as SCT 2400 or Diablosport MAFia (depending on which your tuner prefers). I was very close to pegging my MAF sensor with just a 2.93, intake, and cat-back. im also in the >90% duty cycle range with my fuel pumps.

just so you know what you're getting yourself into.

Yes I understand and I have a local tuner that will tune it on the dyno. I guess I'll prepare to buy a mass air and a kenne belle boost a pump if necessary (or new injectors :confused: )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info