• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

AHHHH i cannot make up my mind!!

Which..,

• 2.76/Port

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • KB 2.2

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Ok well.. i have a delima. That might be easy for some but not for me...

You see, as most of you know, i will be moving to FL in the spring and will need money to do so. But i want to get some more hp out of the car.

I dont know weather to do a 2.76/Port and be happy w/ 500+

or

Save for a KB 2.2 and be happy with 600+ hp...

I just have no idea what to do.. Financially it would be better to do the 2.76/port. But then i will be craving the 600+ hp. I just dont know what to do :crying: :crying:

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
2.76/Port gets my vote. A KB will set you back $5K plus install, then when you start making 600+ at the wheels you will start to break a lot of shit. If I was short on money just because it such a huge difference in cost.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Don't forget about the fuel mods if you haven't done them already. 60lb. injectors, BAP, etc. That's why I'm going to put a 2.93 on to start with when I add the ported blower. Hopefully I can avoid the fuel mod necessity and upgrade them over the course of a year instead of all at once. Then after the fuel mods, I will switch to a 2.76.

03mineralg

K.B! How much did you just spend on cams with the install? A k.b would not be much more than that (considering bang for the buck). I know its expensive but i wouldnt go all out on cams and then skimp on the lifeline (BLOWER).

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
I would go KB but being that saving money is a factor,
go ported for now, and when you come back go KB :biggthump
then you'll have the time to get used to the added HP,
and still have something more to do from there ;)

Tranzlucent

Say When
Jun 7, 2004
Do not go KB right away. Yeah I said it. Stay with the Eaton and port it. How many IRS 6 speed non N20 KB cars do you know in the 10s? Now for the cost of the KB, port the eaton, slap a lower on their and go for the 10's. If you can't get there, 60's, bap, N20 will get you there.

Do not go with the Eaton either. Yeah I said that too. By the time you add up all the costs for the n20 and the porting and the new tune, you could have picked up the KB with the supporting mods too (you'll need em anyway).

At the same time, start saving your money for a built shortblock because the stock one won't last that long with either hefty combo. Lots of KB guys are shredding the pistons and we all know of the N20 eaton guys that are lunching motors as well. Either combo can last a long time, but lately it seems that they are both exploding all kinds of neat shit. The other thing you need to look at is the cost of a new clutch and probably breaking all kinds of good stuff in the rear when it hops with either set up. I firmly believe that our halfshafts can withstand 500-600ft lbs of torque on a solid non-hop launch, but the slightest hop with that kind of torque is going to blow up faster than Michael Jackson's Fisher Price Blow up doll.

So in conclusion, go with either one that's cheaper in my opinion. After you port the eaton, you'll want more power and you can either toss on N20 or realize that you wasted 1k of your money.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Mike,

How many times are you going to ask? It seems like this has been going on since last winter. First it was should I KB or Whipple, then it is like should I Whipple or Port and now its like should I KB or Port.

Just fork over the money to me cause I got to do something cause my buddy just went to the dealer to pick out his options for his '06 Z06. He is taking delivery in 6 ~ 8 weeks so I don't have much time. He is already asking about track events later this year cause he wants to embaress me out there.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Mystic Terminator said:
Mike,

How many times are you going to ask? It seems like this has been going on since last winter. First it was should I KB or Whipple, then it is like should I Whipple or Port and now its like should I KB or Port.

Just fork over the money to me cause I got to do something cause my buddy just went to the dealer to pick out his options for his '06 Z06. He is taking delivery in 6 ~ 8 weeks so I don't have much time. He is already asking about track events later this year cause he wants to embaress me out there.

yea yea yea i know.. I ran into a guy with a silver 01' z06 that ordered his already.. he said he got his for 65K..

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
VenomInside said:
yea yea yea i know.. I ran into a guy with a silver 01' z06 that ordered his already.. he said he got his for 65K..

I would say impossible unless he knows someone. My buddy paid 12K over MSRP and he was much less then others. He said most guys were signing a letter to agree to 20K over MSRP.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
03mineralg said:
K.B! How much did you just spend on cams with the install? A k.b would not be much more than that (considering bang for the buck). I know its expensive but i wouldnt go all out on cams and then skimp on the lifeline (BLOWER).

Same price for Cams?

I didn't realize how much the K.B cost until I did it

You're looking at $6k at the least to do it + some support mods, new pullies and a tune. It's fucking expensive-but I would do it again. It feels like a completely different car.

cobjon57

Regular
Jan 14, 2005
To port or not to port - that is the question.I just want to remind you that fi street race in Florida & you get caught - they (big brother) IMPOUND YOUR CAR and in some counties they crush it, just like some counties in California. 500 + hp IS ENOUGH!!!! John might have his own comment.....:D
VenomInside said:
Ok well.. i have a delima. That might be easy for some but not for me...

You see, as most of you know, i will be moving to FL in the spring and will need money to do so. But i want to get some more hp out of the car.

I dont know weather to do a 2.76/Port and be happy w/ 500+

or

Save for a KB 2.2 and be happy with 600+ hp...

I just have no idea what to do.. Financially it would be better to do the 2.76/port. But then i will be craving the 600+ hp. I just dont know what to do :crying: :crying:

03mineralg

cobravenom39 said:
Same price for Cams?

I didn't realize how much the K.B cost until I did it

You're looking at $6k at the least to do it + some support mods, new pullies and a tune. It's fucking expensive-but I would do it again. It feels like a completely different car.
ANDREW! what i meant was cams with install and tune is more than half of what a K.B would run, so the price of a K.B alone wouldnt be much more. I know the whole package of doing it right will run more but not everyone does it with all the supporting mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info