• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Launching

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I'm still a grasshopper when it comes to launching my 03 Cobra.
(But I am sssoooooo close you're all dead once I get there!)

The next time I go to the track, RT 66 that is, Paul is going to film me and I am going to film him. Then I am going to ride with him in my car and see him launch it. Get the feel of his foot work and try to copy it. The guy leaves like a monster, it's at like 4000 and the r's never fall below his torque peak all thw while the enging is locking up with the clutch and he's gone. 1.702's pretty much all the time, on Nittos to boot! This guy can drive. Enought about him.

Reason being folks.......and NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS UNTIL about 2 months ago.

You have to leave with as much RPM as possible, slipping the clutch just right in order to NEVER let the engine's RPM's fall below your torque peak. I know I just said that and i don't mean to be redundant, but that's the formula.

When I here a guy who pulls 1.6 60' time on Drag Radials his motor starts "somewhere" 1000-2500-3500-4500-4800- etc., etc., it doesn't matter, what matters is that the engine starts there and grows until those revs meet the clutch without falling forward at all. The engine must yank the car and never get bogged, or slowed down by the lock up of the clutch.

Much easier said than done.

keep an eye for a post about going to the strip as long as the blazing temps are'nt there we will be.

StangJason

Jun 11, 2005
Flatliner said:
I didn't realize people didn't understand the concept of slip the clutch, what you have is exactly what it is.

Oh I understand slipping clutch but I sure don't like the thought of wearing mine out to the point where I have to spend all that money to replace it right now :( . Anywho I guess I better go practice this weekend because the dealership will be replacing the one I have pretty soon anyway so I guess now is the time to wear it out before the new one goes in :headbang:

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
StangJason said:
Oh I understand slipping clutch but I sure don't like the thought of wearing mine out to the point where I have to spend all that money to replace it right now :( . Anywho I guess I better go practice this weekend because the dealership will be replacing the one I have pretty soon anyway so I guess now is the time to wear it out before the new one goes in :headbang:

I wasn't directing at anyone in particular, sorry! Have fun though practicing... :burnout:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
StangJason said:

It's just part of life with these cars. You want to drag race and run quick????? You slip the cltch...just a little, not too much, hence the "Magic" in the launch.

Hey screw the expense, you could be dead tomorrow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info