• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Modded Terminator + 100 octane = good or bad?

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
As many of you know, I installed pullies and had my car tuned at Sutton Ford; who did a bang-up job by the way, and I had one question concerning the use if 100 octane. I know that octane rating is the resistance to burn, meaning it requires more spark to ignite. I have heard that people can gain a decent amount of HP by using race fuel...is this true? I have access to a gas station that's really close that has 100 octane. Is it worth the premium price to run that fuel, I don't drive the car much so one tank lasts me quite a while...Also, would my car have to be re-tuned in order to maximize the use of 100 octane? What do you guys think..?

-Mike

Mali1966

Regular
May 26, 2005
SALEENstang96 said:
As many of you know, I installed pullies and had my car tuned at Sutton Ford; who did a bang-up job by the way, and I had one question concerning the use if 100 octane. I know that octane rating is the resistance to burn, meaning it requires more spark to ignite. I have heard that people can gain a decent amount of HP by using race fuel...is this true? I have access to a gas station that's really close that has 100 octane. Is it worth the premium price to run that fuel, I don't drive the car much so one tank lasts me quite a while...Also, would my car have to be re-tuned in order to maximize the use of 100 octane? What do you guys think..?

-Mike

I was allways told that the higher the octane the more timing advance you can put into the car. This is where you gained the most from 100+ racing fuel running at 8 to 12 degrees (or more) advanced timing .

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wiked03 said:
Yes you car would have to be tuned for the 100 octane to gain the full benefits. Basically 100 octane would allow you to run more timing safely, and that extra timing is where you will pick up the extra power.

I throw in few gallons of 100 when I go to the track just to help prevent detonation.

:ditto:

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
So basically what you are saying is that putting 100 octane in my car now, at it's present tuning and mod level will do nothing except make my wallet that much lighter. Well, at least the stuff smells good. I used to run it in my catless GT, man...I miss that. I ran it once in the Cobra, looks like the cats really do their job, cuze I didn't feel a thing; this was before the pullies and tune...thanks fellas.

-Mike

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
100 octane (vp c10) is unleaded. hell you can even get 116 octane unleaded b ut its illegal to dispense into a motor vehicle you have to fill your fuel cans with it then fill your car from them.

my car even stock got GREAT mileage on 100 octane.

at the very least, its going to be a more pure gasoline since it doesnt have to have the stupid emissions formulation. burns 25% cleaner but we have to burn 35% as much to get the same performance thus making it a net polluter. i hate hippies.

dont fear 100 octane unleaded. just fear its price.

KTs03

King of Fools
Mar 10, 2004
Mystic Terminator said:
I wonder what the 100LL is going for @ the local airport. :dunno: It use to be much cheaper than the Gas City racing gas. From what I heard even though it was called LL (Low Lead), it was loaded w/ lead when compared to unleaded gasoline for cars.

100LL is probably close to $3.00 a gallon. I used to put it in my quad but I haven't bought any in several years. I live next to an airport so I'll check it later today when I go past.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Unless your tune calls for it (or you currently have detonation/knock problems) higher octane will actually decrease your cars performance since higher octane has requires more energy to burn.

Also running higher octane fuel than needed wil yield worse gas mileage (requires more energy to burn) so putting 93 in a car that requires 87 octane is a complete waste.

JPKII

It's just me...
Mar 26, 2004
Cobra_Jack said:
Unless your tune calls for it (or you currently have detonation/knock problems) higher octane will actually decrease your cars performance since higher octane has requires more energy to burn.

Also running higher octane fuel than needed wil yield worse gas mileage (requires more energy to burn) so putting 93 in a car that requires 87 octane is a complete waste.

I agree with this. When I moved back to Joliet I knew I could get 100 octane so I reset my computer (to ensure the LTFT were back at 0) and ran 100 octane for about 5 tanks. I noticed that my idle quality sucked. It wanted to stall on me quite a bit. I did not notice any performance gains. The only cool part is the smell. I am also tuned for 91 octane...

When I take it to the track I will mix in some 100 though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info