• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Couple Issues

96Cobra

Four Valve Terror
Mar 11, 2005
Well here I go..

A, you know how when your driving and when you pass by on side roads or parked cars some cars make a little faint noise? Well Ive never had it before and Im scared of what it could be. I had recently done a CB and thought it might be the bolts, i tightended them yesterday and it still made this noise today, Its mostly at cruising, especially when the exhaust isnt too loud to hear anything else.

AA, Also, there is a smell, an odd smell if you stand behind the exhaust, especially if it was just running and turned off. Is this smell from just the exhaust being broken in or could there be something wrong?

B, When putting the exhaust on, we had to take off both rear tires to easy the instillation. Now, the place i went to to put my new tires on must not have put anti-sieze on them because one lug on each rear siezed. Called up my friend (great with cars) and he said theres nothing you can do, just try to get them off. So none the less we do, the "stud" or what ever its called (whats the real name?) snaps, very pissed we go to the other side, and another stud snaps. So im running now on 4 lugs on the rear wheels doing minimum driving till i get the studs and new lugs for the rears. Could this be the cause of the noise im hearing from Problem A?

Long posts I know, but I just want my car to be running normal again :gears:

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
First, can you elaborate on the faint noise? If it's not kind of a popping noise that matches the rpm it's probably not a leak, just a different exhaust echo. As far as the smell goes, the new cat back will burn off residue from manufacturing for a while then fade. In some cases the free flowing exhaust will let a little more of the fuel smell of the exhaust thru especially with catless h/x pipe(no cats, no fuel burn). If you are still worried about a leak, lossen the flanges, give it a couple good twists and check the mate up for the best possible position then wrench them back down. I really doubt the studs are causing the noise, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
96Cobra said:
A, you know how when your driving and when you pass by on side roads or parked cars some cars make a little faint noise? Well Ive never had it before and Im scared of what it could be. I had recently done a CB and thought it might be the bolts, i tightended them yesterday and it still made this noise today, Its mostly at cruising, especially when the exhaust isnt too loud to hear anything else.
Check your midpipe for any leaks, check the connection points, the O2 sensor connections, and the pipe as a whole as well. Try getting under the car and locating exactly where its coming from via sound if you cant see/feel it.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
96Cobra said:
AA, Also, there is a smell, an odd smell if you stand behind the exhaust, especially if it was just running and turned off. Is this smell from just the exhaust being broken in or could there be something wrong?
Its from the break in. My Magnapacks reeked for a week when I first installed them.

Oh, and I wouldnt even drive the car with 4 lugs, thats asking for problems at any speed or mileage

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info