• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How lean is too lean

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Finally got to the dyno today to check my James @ RWTD tune and it is lean. So I posted back on my thread at the RWTD tuning forum to get it fattened up. The way things sound like they are going down there I can plan on getting my updated tune in about 3 months.

So can I survive 12.5:1 to 13:1 untill I get my updated tune or am I sitting on a grenade? Would some 100 octane allow me to run at the track at least?

This sucks because I was actually gonna make it to MSC 3.0 this weekend and I wasn't planning on being a spectator. Fun Ford Weekend is at Cordova in 2 weeks, also and I wanted to run there, too.

I sooooo wish I woulda just had a real dyno tune done instead of dicking with this mail order tune and predator stuff. Now I will get to spend yet another $75 on 2 dyno runs whenever it is that I get my new tune back.

At some point in the next day I will post the graph....

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Like Hank asked, was it a tailpipe sniffer that you got the reading from? If so (and you're running cats), you may not be as far off as you think.

You can add fuel with the Predator, but tuning within the custom tune if much more effective than trying to compensate after the fact. The user adjustable settings are limited. Post your dyno chart if possible.

You might be safe to run, IF:

- it was a tailpipe reading
- you fill up with 100 or 104 Unleaded
- you richen the tune a tad with your Predator

I would contact James and explain your dilemma (track event this weekend). He can usually get you to the top of the list if you only need some A/F tweaking. Just be sure to have your dyno sheet uploaded to the forum in advance so he can access it.

PM me if you need any more help.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
I sooooo wish I woulda just had a real dyno tune done instead of dicking with this mail order tune and predator stuff. Now I will get to spend yet another $75 on 2 dyno runs whenever it is that I get my new tune back.

At some point in the next day I will post the graph....

A Wideband O2 sensor is a must if you go the mail order tune route.

And remember, a custom dyno tune from a good tuner is the best way to go to get the best tune, but any substantial mods down the road will usually require another $300+ custom tune, where RWTD won't cost you anything more. So far I've gotten several Eaton tunes and several Whipple tunes for my initial $100 and they've all been very good (power/driveability).

If you don't plan on changing anything in the near future, you could just go to Speed Inc. (they tune with Diablo) and get a custom dyno tune. Maybe they can get you in before MSC this weekend. :dunno:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
The reading was taken at a rear O2 sensor.

I have a floppy with the runs saved on it. How the hell do I post the graph? It tells me it is an invalid file type.

So I can alter the parameters on a CUSTOM tune with the Predator??? I thought you you could only play with the canned Predator tune.

I guess I could always flush James' tune for now and reset the Predator and go back to the tweaked canned tune I had been running- if I can find how much fuel I had to add to make that thing safe.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
If James doesn't fix it by this weekend (I did send him an email to see if he could get me in soon) I think I'll try to add more fuel with the Predator. If that don't work I guess I'll run 100 at the track. I'm assuming 41 has unleaded 100 octane???

And yes, that wideband would be cool.

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 12
  • AFR.jpg
    AFR.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 112

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
did you like....forget to tell james what your combination was? ive never seen a graph of one of his that was that bad.

mine was fine as far as a:f goes. he gave me way too much timing on the bottom end.

email might not be the best way to get ahold of him. monday and tuesday he does support on the ford forums he hosts. probably best to post there.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
The reading was taken at a rear O2 sensor.

I have a floppy with the runs saved on it. How the hell do I post the graph? It tells me it is an invalid file type.

So I can alter the parameters on a CUSTOM tune with the Predator??? I thought you you could only play with the canned Predator tune.

I guess I could always flush James' tune for now and reset the Predator and go back to the tweaked canned tune I had been running- if I can find how much fuel I had to add to make that thing safe.

I would definitely NOT flush his tune. The canned predator tune blows. E-mail me the files from your floppy and I'll post the graph so others can chime in with some input.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Yup I told him exactly what I was running when I requested the original tune. And, I did post in his Ford Forum yesterday.

The good news is that I plugged the Predator in this morning and it appears that it was going to let me add fuel to the custom tune.

Yes it will let you dump fuel up top, but will not impact your A/F as effectively as he can from within the tune.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
gnxs said:
Yes it will let you dump fuel up top, but will not impact your A/F as effectively as he can from within the tune.

I am just gonna do this in the mean time to be safe this weekend and until James gets me my updated tune back (whenever that will be).

The canned tune does blow. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I had to add like 11 or 12% fuel from 4k to 7k to get the AFR below 12 and even like 5% below 4k. That's why I decided to get a RWTD tune in the first place.

Either way, I'm not gonna race and drive around with a 13:1. I got another dyno appointment for tomorrow afternoon and I gonna try to fatten that pig up.

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Went back last night and added 5% fuel to James tune with the Predator- much better now 11.8-12.0:1 the whole way.

But what the hell is the power so choppy for up top? You could feel it and see it on the dyno. Did this the other day, too. I thought it was something in the tires or rearend but the dyno operator thought it might be in the tune.

It did it Monday then again on Wednesday. Different tanks of gas, too. Kinda wierd. I can't feel or notice it on the road at all either though.

Hey look, I finally figured out WinPEP7, too.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 84

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Checked my belt. I am running a 74 inch belt (K080740) with the BF 2.93 and extra idler. There was a little belt dust there but nothing I would consider excessive. It seems plenty tight. The tensioner is almost maxed out and I remember when the belt was new I almost couldn't get it on.

How could I tell if it were either belt slip or spark blowout?

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Here is the from RWTD. This is pretty much my feelings on the topic, too. I think it was something screwy with my tires, rearend, or the dyno. The thing runs like a raped ape on the street so I'm leaving well enough alone.

That's the oddest looking dyno oscillation that I've ever seen. I think there is something going on with the dyno's equipment. If it were detonation or spark blowout, the choppiness would be more random.

Regarding the new tunes, I would just leave your current tune alone with the additional 5%. That's pretty much right on the money.

Regards,

Ed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info