• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Clutch Is Toast...Need Advice & Help!!

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
Well I never thought I would be posting this thread but ohhh well. It all started yesterday when my dad took the cobra to work, car only has 11,000 miles. Comming home he said that there was BAD traffic and he was riding the clutch pretty good for about 20 minutes. So when he gets home it smells like no other. I could not belive it. So then I drove the car to wood field for dinner and got home. Still smelled terrible, felt some slippage. Then today started the car up and backed out into the street, car smelled like clutch burning again, drove it for a little and still smelled. Now its parked and it doesnt smell but when I got out and shut her off she stinked!! I do have nittos and launch the car at about 3700 rmp with feathering the clutch. I have only done this maybe 10 times total. I think this may contribute to the problem but before yesterday I have never smelled clutch. I really think the person before me who owned the car messed it up. So now im looking at a new clutch and flywheel to go with it. But first I just want to make sure I am looking for the right stuff. 2001 cobra's have a 6 bolt crank or 8 bolt crank and 10.5 inch disk or 11 inch. I was either looking at the spec stage 2 or stage 3, but looking more into stage 2 with a fidanza flywheel, not sure of the weight. Im going to stay n/a with this car so which clutch would you recomend for street and strip and what weight flywheel. Also, what are shops charging for this install, what is the average price and hours it takes for them to do it. Any recomendations???? Thanks for reading and for the help!!!!

lightning95

The other Jeff
Nov 6, 2004
Sounds like your Dad finished it off! Talk to Speed inc. one of our vendors they carry Spec clutches plus they can install it. Spec also has a kit with clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Stage2 is all you really need Stage3 is for for drag strip, big power cars. Your car should be 8 bolt 11" flywheel. :)

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
thats what I thought. Im going to be getting the spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel (not sure which one). I was thinking about doing this myself but ill pass on this one, I really dont want not make the situation worse. Ill also be getting the upr triple hook quadrent kit. I know that there is some conreversry on if my crank is 6 or 8 bolt. Half of the 2001's were 6 and the other half 8 bolt. If someone can clear this up that would be great. Thanks!

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2005
he has driven the car a few times before this. We only have 2 cars now since im fixing the brakes on our oldmoblie at school. So he had to drive the car to work. He said he was in traffic and didnt feel like putting the car into gear and out of gear. So he decided he'd just ride the clutch. After this incident he says, " I am NEVER driving that car again!" lol

5pointOhCrap

svtcobra2k1 said:
he has driven the car a few times before this. We only have 2 cars now since im fixing the brakes on our oldmoblie at school. So he had to drive the car to work. He said he was in traffic and didnt feel like putting the car into gear and out of gear. So he decided he'd just ride the clutch. After this incident he says, " I am NEVER driving that car again!" lol
LMFAO, hey more cobra time for you! :headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Bigturbonotch
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list