• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Question for MGW shifter owners

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I recently installed an MGW shifter with the red handle.

After using it for a couple days, I notice that I will now sometimes miss 4th gear and go into 2nd instead.

Have any of you had this problem? I think it might be due to the angle of the shift handle. I have it "rotated" so it points slightly towards me. My theory is that due to this angle, when I pull back the handle for 4th gear, I end up pulling it slightly to the left and back into 2nd.

Any one else have this problem? I think the remedy might be to rotate the handle so it's aligned straight down and not angled toward me. However, this would put the handle further away from my reach which I'd rather not do.

Handle is rotated just like the one in this pic:
15t.jpg

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
nytebyte said:
I recently installed an MGW shifter with the red handle.

After using it for a couple days, I notice that I will now sometimes miss 4th gear and go into 2nd instead.

Have any of you had this problem? I think it might be due to the angle of the shift handle. I have it "rotated" so it points slightly towards me. My theory is that due to this angle, when I pull back the handle for 4th gear, I end up pulling it slightly to the left and back into 2nd.

Any one else have this problem? I think the remedy might be to rotate the handle so it's aligned straight down and not angled toward me. However, this would put the handle further away from my reach which I'd rather not do.

Handle is rotated just like the one in this pic:
15t.jpg

I don't have that problem, but I think it's a matter of driving style and arm position of various drivers. However, I will say that mine is not angled nearly as much as yours is towards the driver.

Mine is about 1/2 way between where you have yours and straight down. Also, I recently installed the blue handle and I like it even more than the red.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Mine is set more like 7PM than your 8:30PM if you can associate it with a clock.

I never get anything other than perfect shifts so far, only 200 miles though.

I do see how you could pull into second with that angle. That would be horrible, you better figure it out quickly.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I think I'm going to rotate it to the right a bit and make it near the 7 o'clock position and see if that helps.

It would really suck to accidentally shift into 2nd at 100 mph.

The shifter is sweet though. I can't believe how quiet it is. How'd they do that?! :headbang:

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Good...advantage DENNIS! :laughing2 :laughing2 :laughing2

I don't wish that you blow third, but rest assured, when you get the money, BUY ONE, it is sssooo nice to race FREE from the fear of missing a gear. It took me until the third run to realize I wasn't worried.

Ju got to get one soon.
I dont need a aftermarket shifter, I dont miss with the stocker :cool:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
hj16 said:
I dont need a aftermarket shifter, I dont miss with the stocker :cool:

Good for you!

I always said anyone could master the stock shifter if they tried. That it was worthy. I didn't though, oh man did I have trouble. After I heard the whirr in 5th with my Pro 5.0 I was unhappy but figured it was worth NOT missing gears. I did still miss 3rd & 4th sometimes even with that one.

But I got to tell you, this new MGW shifter is way to good to overlook.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I also agree. If you don't have an aftermarket shifter, you really should get one. I had a Steeda Tri-Ax for almost two years before switching to the MGW.

The Tri-Ax was a huge improvement over stock, but it was very noisy. The MGW is very quiet and feels even better than the Tri-Ax.

The shifter is a direct interface between you and the car. A sloppy shifter is going to affect the overall feel of the car, so it's important to have a good one IMO.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
nytebyte said:
Oh yeah, I moved my handle to the 7 o'clock position and I'm still accidentally hitting 2nd gear when I shift into 4th.

It must be operator error. I just have to get used to this thing. :dunno:

My sleeve length is 35" and I'm 5-11. I truly have too short of a right arm to be as comfortable as I'd like when reaching for this shifter, but I also learned how to shift with my 85 GT Coupe way back when.....read on though.

I'm thinking you have just short enough arms (like me) to actually pull towards second when leaving fourth....it's just too wierd. Or, you developed a bad habit of hugging to the left...or (pulling towards you) when you shift or (yank it) from 1st to second. That's probably what the trouble is, and now it's happening when you pull for 4th.

Just a hunch, but I too used to hold real tight towards myself when shifting from 1st to 2nd in my first car. I had to re-learn how to get 2nd all over again after a friend showed me why I was doing the same thing your speaking of.
I had no idea I was pulling so hard towards me when shifting to 2nd. I to hit the gate & would miss fourth as a result, I never got to 2nd, or even thought so, but I was hitting the gate.

Oh well, hope this helps. 1 more thing...DO NOT GRAB THE SHIFTER LIKE YOUR TRYING TO CHOKE OR KILL SOMETHING!!!! Use an open hand with the handle in your palm in each direction. Just get a grip in your palm and shove in either direction, it's amazing how loose it can be yet it works perfectly.

You can hold the handle anyway YOU want, but it's when you get wild and intense that the shift suffers, go figure. Take it easy, set up and go at the right time.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Practice holding your elbow directly above the console when you are shifting at the track. Keep it there for the entire run.

This will force you to pull the shifter straight back or push it straight forward.
Do not help the shifter, it knows what to do.
Do not push it to the side when going to third. Push it straight towards the radio.
The same for second and especially fourth. Pull it straight back.

Practice this on the street. It doesn't have to be a WOT run to practice shifting correctly.
With your elbow directly above the console, it gets much easier.
You just have to remember to do it.
I wrote myself a big note and stuck it on the dashboard.

Dan

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I have pretty long arms, so I'm pretty sure I've just developed a bad habit of pulling the handle to the left. This was probably due to getting used to the stock handle on the Tri-Ax for 2 years.

I've been forcing myself to be more conscious of my arm position and it seems to help. I haven't missed a shift in about two days, but I need more practice time.

I just want to be sure I've got it right before going to the SVTOA Autobahn thing. It would not be a good thing to be WOT in 3rd and then accidentally shift into 2nd.

On a good note, I can shift noticeably quicker with this MGW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info