• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Head Ticking vs Injector Ticking

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Hello everyone... I am new to this forum.

Previous cars is a long list, but most recently I sold a built 1991 5.0 Mustang and a 2000 Camaro to buy an 03 Cobra.

My question is the dreaded ticking, but I notice it at initial start up/idle for about a minute or two; however, not after the motor is at normal running temperature.

How can I tell if the ticking is from the injectors or heads?

Does the head ticking occur at all times the motor is running?

Also, is there a link to the TSB on the heads ticking issue?

Appreciate the feedback.

Dave

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I believe a ticking sound that goes away is not the head tick. Could be piston slap till it heats up then the "play" is gone and no tick.

03redvert said:
Hello everyone... I am new to this forum.

Previous cars is a long list, but most recently I sold a built 1991 5.0 Mustang and a 2000 Camaro to buy an 03 Cobra.

My question is the dreaded ticking, but I notice it at initial start up/idle for about a minute or two; however, not after the motor is at normal running temperature.

How can I tell if the ticking is from the injectors or heads?

Does the head ticking occur at all times the motor is running?

Also, is there a link to the TSB on the heads ticking issue?

Appreciate the feedback.

Dave

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Got it, thanks...

Piston slapping the valve? If that is so, then the piston and valve then be toast.

I thought the initial ticking at start up that goes away is usually the slapping of rocker arm tip and top of the valve stem...

I could be wrong...

Thanks again for all of the info... I am new to the 4.6L... :headbang:

superman

COME & SEE
May 9, 2006
does this tick get worse after awile i noticed mine is doing it and it's really pissing me off.... i still have warr if i take it in how long will car be out of comission?? i just don't know where to take dont trust these dealers... i heard arlington heights ford is pretty good... and feed back on this tick would be greatly appreciated...

Whitey04

Regular
Apr 2, 2006
Well I've been asking around alot about this and I finally got a final answer. I called a ford dealer and ford ran my vin to see if my car qualified for the head campaign and it did. Ford (the car company not the dealer) claims that it won't hurt anything, the dealers mechanics say that the ticking happens by a valve guide with excessive clearance. I asked him if that could cause a valve to drop "I can't promise anything" he tells me. If your still in a factory warranty get it fixed. if you have an extanded warranty get it fixed. A head is very expensive and a dropped valve.... I don't even want to think about it.

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
03's had the rep for that problem, but there has been 04's with the head tick.

Best thing to do is take the car to a dealer and point out the head tick. Some folks on SVTP have reported one head replaced, some have had both heads replaced. It really comes down to the dealer.

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
Umm... when i start my car cold there is a prevalant tick from the drivers side fenderwell, but it goes away at running temp, also at 2500-2800 rpm i get some rattling from my engine, sounds like rockers rattling, but could it be something like my throwout bearing? thats the only other thing i could think of besides not exactly adjusted valves

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
that sounds like piston slap as described

yournamehear119 said:
Umm... when i start my car cold there is a prevalant tick from the drivers side fenderwell, but it goes away at running temp, also at 2500-2800 rpm i get some rattling from my engine, sounds like rockers rattling, but could it be something like my throwout bearing? thats the only other thing i could think of besides not exactly adjusted valves

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info