• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lowered the car, brakes are making noise...what gives?

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I recently got my 03 Cobra lowered with H&R Super Sports with front MM isolators and stockers in the rear. Ever since then I have noticed that my driver side brake is making noises. It kind of sounds like the rotor is warped or something, that's the kind of sound it makes intermittent rubbing. I pulled the whole driver side brake apart and I didn't notice anything obviously wrong, I might take it apart again and measure the rotor thickness. I've got about 13K miles of relavtely easy driving so I don't think that it's time for pads and rotors (the pads still have A LOT of pad left) but it makes a rubbing noise when driving and when the brakes are applied it sounds like nails on a chalkboard...can anyone help? I'm might just have to go to Ford but with my springs they might be too much help...thanks in advance. One more thing, I'm going to get an alignment soon due to lowering the car, could that have something to do with it?

-Mike

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I jacked the car up and did just that. When I had the tire off, I hand spun the rotor and it still made noises. It sounds exactly like the rotor is warped or something. It has an intermittent "scratching-like" sound. Even with the wheel off, it still "rubs." The rotor doesn't have have any damage, other than the fact that it is starting to get shiny or polished, cutting the rotors would solve that.

-Mike

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I checked the dust sheild, it's bent all to hell but it's not touching anything. When I checked the brakes, I pulled the pads, took off the caliper and checked it...I didn't notice any abnormal wear...the pads are still thick. I'm going to measure them today but I have to find specifications for rotor thickness and acceptible pad thickness. I was looking into getting new drilled and/or slotted rotors, maybe this is a sign...but it's a shame to take off parts that still have so much life left...

-Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info