• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Two New Problems: Loud Squeak/Squeal AND Some EXCESSIVE Blowby!

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I posted on NLOC, but not much help there, so why not see if anyone here knows. This is pissing me off. I have 23K miles and NO MODS on the engine except the Lightning Enterprise PCV kit (puts the Cobra's functional PCV valve and a check valve into the system rather than the purely open system that leaks oil like a sieve). I bought the PCV kit after I saw my throttle body COATED in oil after 5K miles.

Winter sucks and I haven't been under the hood much in a few months, but I put in a FTVB last week and a fuel pressure gauge this weekend. Last week I noticed oil residue leaking out of the ports on the underside of the intake boot, where the driver's side PCV tube and the IAC tube plug into.

This past Friday, I'm putting the fuel pressure sending unit in, and I'm like WTF??!! There's oil residue all over the PCV lines coming from the underside of the intake boot, and the forward half of my driver's side valve cover as well as the damn head all the way down to the exhaust manifold are COVERED in oil. It seriously looks like my '78 Chevy Nova that leaked a quart every hundred miles.

Not only that, but there's actually oil leaking OUT of the bottom of my conical air filter!!! The underside is coated!!!! WTF is going on? When I saw the residue last week, I had thought about ripping out the PCV system when I actually break down and go for a tune, but after seeing it today, I'm worried that there's serious blowby going on. For a stock engine, it's pretty odd.

What should I do? I'm thinking about taking into the dealer and ask for a compression check, just to make sure one of the rings didn't fail. But is there any other issue that could be going on? It really looks way worse than what I would expect from normal oil vapor ventilation.

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE, I developed a squeak today. It sounds almost exactly like what most other people describe as an idler tensioner going bad, but this sounds like it's coming from under the truck. I can really hear it when I'm near the tires, or underneath the truck, and not so much from above, although it's so loud it's really embarrasing. It's tied to engine speed, happens loudest at idle, BUT, unlike most idlers, it only happens when the engine is WARM, instead of going away when it heats up. It doesn't seem to be coming from the idler when I'm focusing on it, it almost sounds like the water pump is going.

I read all the posts, it's almost exactly like the underdrive pulley problem, but I don't have any underdrive pulleys.

Any ideas???? Still an idler, maybe the water pump is going, I don't think it's an IAC valve (no idle problems). HELP HELP HELP!

And thanks for any replies to this!
Kevin

C

Casper

When I had the Lightning Enterprise PCV mod I was getting the same problem. It was great that it wasn't going in my intercooler. But now it's coming into my MAF boot and filter. I then put on a oil seperater on the truck. No more oil in the boot or the intercooler.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Casper said:
When I had the Lightning Enterprise PCV mod I was getting the same problem. It was great that it wasn't going in my intercooler. But now it's coming into my MAF boot and filter. I then put on a oil seperater on the truck. No more oil in the boot or the intercooler.

Hmmmm. More investigation needed. Thanks for the heads up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ILLINI-SVT
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list