• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

ticking sound...

P

PearlBlue L

been talkin with some people.. maybe it could be an exhuast leak too... they say it sounds like a ticking sound??? i did have to bend my egr tube on the drivers side once i put on my phenolic spacer kit... so maybe it is leaking from the manifold on the drivers side, since that is where the sound is coming from

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Shouldn't be too ifficult to pull the cover off, and you can tighten the rocker arms...

But a feeler guage for the lifters (I don't think so)
have to listen with a stethoscope and see which cylinder it is...

There's a pre-loaded torque on the rocker arms (probably 8 or 9 lbs)

- make sure the oil passages are clear, and that there are no clogs
in the line :dunno:

S

Shane97Cobra

Check really good for an exhaust leak first. Much easier than trying to get off a cam cover. You said it only does it some times...does it seem to be when the motor is hot or cold? Or both. A small exausht leak can sound like you describe and can be very hard to find. Not to mention once the pipes heat up, they can expand just enough to make the leak stop.

As for the rollers and lifters go, they are hydrolic, so nothing to tighen down. You could have a lifter that isn't pumping up possibly, but don't think the sound would go away. Like susie said, get the stethascope out and try to pin point the sound.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I've heard an exhaust leak before, and assuming that they all sound similar, I don't think that's what I heard on your truck on Sunday. It sounded to me more like a loose tension idler snapping back and forth, although having looked at both of them, they didn't appear to be hopping at all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list