• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

TOB sleeve ?

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Ok everyone knows im going with a Fidanza alum fly,Liberty 26 spline,Centerforce Dual Friction and TOB,Steeda adjusters,but should I go with the updated Ford TOB retainer sleeve (my car is early first run), or the McLeod TOB tube?

Since im gonna have the front of the trans apart,"I might as well do this at the same time while its apart syndrome again" wondering what anyone has heard from guys that have done this. Thoughts.............Lyle

Cobra Dude

Regular
Mar 19, 2004
dun4791 said:
Ok everyone knows im going with a Fidanza alum fly,Liberty 26 spline,Centerforce Dual Friction and TOB,Steeda adjusters,but should I go with the updated Ford TOB retainer sleeve (my car is early first run), or the McLeod TOB tube?

Since im gonna have the front of the trans apart,"I might as well do this at the same time while its apart syndrome again" wondering what anyone has heard from guys that have done this. Thoughts.............Lyle

The Top Cobra's in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords use McLeod, but since you are going with Centerforce Dual Friction you might as well use their TOB for a good match.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Like Harvey said, Centerforce also makes a TOB along with McLeod. The Centerforce to my knowledge is a direct swap, while the McLeod requires considerable trimming. I have no idea which is heavier duty, but unless you plan on going bonanza I think they'll both be more than enough.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Yes Dan is correct--Im looking for advice or experience on the TOB tube. Whether i should go with the redesigned Ford piece (I have the old style because my car is early first run) or the McLeod tube.

I already have the centerforce TOB-looks good to me on that part.

Just wondering if anyone had heard any good stories about one or the other or both.................Lyle

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ford changed how the tube was attached to the bearing retainer.
It is now welded around the entire outside diameter of the tube, not just tacked in place.

If you wait a few days, Lyle can show you the differences betweeen the two.

I would guess, based on the production date, you have the original style.

Dan

03TorchRedCobra

Dana said:
Ford changed how the tube was attached to the bearing retainer.
It is now welded around the entire outside diameter of the tube, not just tacked in place.

If you wait a few days, Lyle can show you the differences betweeen the two.

I would guess, based on the production date, you have the original style.

Dan

Thanks Dan.

I heard Ford sells the whole connection part at a bigger cost than just buying the sleeve from McLeod and fitting it in. Is that true?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I think you are right, that the piece Ford sells is actually the front of the trans case, or at least this was the situation during January and includes the bearing retainer.
But, you can get the same part from the T45 trans (just the retainer) and use that or get one from D & D. They make a replacement for around $100.

I don't know how much the T45 piece is, sorry.

Try doing a search on Modular Fords for TOB and RETAINER.
You can get more info there or find contact info too.

Dan

03TorchRedCobra said:
Now you guys got me curious. I am ordering the same setup as dun4791 and wonder if I need the newer tob retainer. My car was made in 6-03 anniversary model.

How can I tell?

Thanks.

You probably have a tack welded one also, so you need 1 also...the McLeod is 82.69 from Summit Part# MCL-8-118-1 or the Ford piece is around 250.00 comes with the new aluminum cover also....Im gonna try to get mine warrantied, I have 2 months left on my 3 yr warranty, you could try that too..its a TSB 04-13-4 Hoping to get the answer today so it can be ordered one way or another tomorrow.

Where are you located..wanna check em out call me 312 735 4847.....But i know what else you need one of our coolant mod kits while the trans is out.................Lyle

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info