• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Drill to Cobra

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I didn't feel like drilling the hole in mine because I think it's a future rust starting point if it isn't primed and painted. I think that some guys may be afraid to drill and might want a bracket that lets them mount the filter without drilling. We're not selling this now, we're just exploring interest in whether it would be worth producing.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Dana said:
So prime it and paint it.

And save some weight at the same time.

Dan

LOL! What, an ounce or two? How do you get to the back of the fender with the primer/paint? If I'm going to paint anything, it will be my rusting heat exchanger and cobra grill ornament. C'mon, Spring...

I think if Lyle wants to make up a few of these, He and I could just carry some in our cars and sell a few to people who comment on seeing ours. That would also eliminate shipping which would probably be as much as the bracket costs. I wonder what K+N pays for their bracket. Maybe they would be interested. Hmmmm.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
if you cant find a place to remove a pound, find sixteen places to remove an ounce!

Flyn high again said:
LOL! What, an ounce or two? How do you get to the back of the fender with the primer/paint? If I'm going to paint anything, it will be my rusting heat exchanger and cobra grill ornament. C'mon, Spring...

I think if Lyle wants to make up a few of these, He and I could just carry some in our cars and sell a few to people who comment on seeing ours. That would also eliminate shipping which would probably be as much as the bracket costs. I wonder what K+N pays for their bracket. Maybe they would be interested. Hmmmm.

John the last thing im worried about is resale value, I dont care what someone else says my car is worth-im not selling it.

From what i have heard, people that have the FIPK are either leaving that bracket out or the screw strips out that goes in the drilled hole over time-from vibration i imagine. I have NO experience with this setup, but i have never liked the Amazon kit, and when I saw the deal on this one i grabbed it.

Lighten up guys, by going to the factory speed clip there is no chance of a problem later, and i think it looks better this way-however it requires a compound bend and it is also not a straight piece so therefore would be VERY cost prohibitive-i just thought it would be just as easy to make 4 or 5 as 2. And the bracket that comes with the kit probably weighs more than the one i made anyway.

You all know how i am about my car, i would drill a hole if i knew i wasnt going to screw up and put a big gouge in my fender, i could just imagine the drill slipping-just rather not have a drill by the painted parts of my car thanks................Lyle

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
You mean like this?
HA! HA!

Attachments

• Slide7b.JPG
    Slide7b.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 62

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
the 2003 cobra fipk has two mount points so i dont see why there would be a problem. i ran with the 2001 cobra fipk as there wasnt one for the 2003 model yet, and yes, it was a sheet metal screw and one mount point that kept volcano-ing out the hole. i ended up changing to a rubber rivet-kinda thingy for german license plates. like a riv-nut only rubber. that plus the second mounting point off the core support, and i'm in like flynn.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info