• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Will the dust stop? Questions about Gatorbacks, pullies, idlers...

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
I just got a Billetflow Non-slip 2.76", 100mm BF idler, and 74" Gatorback blet installed with a SCT XCalibrator tune at Sutton High Performance. Dyno numbers were 455 RWHP & 474 RWTQ with a VERY conservative tune (timing wise) & A/F (Max 11.8).

I have only had the car back a week and maybe put 150 miles on it, but I started hearing a wizzzing, whistling sound. Upon doing some research, I was told that Gatorback will make some noise, and that its normal. I'm OK with that since it actually sounds really cool, kinda like a mini-Vortech :headbang:

I am not cool with all this freaking dust. The dust itself really doesnt bother me, I just dont want to play musical belts like some people out there, and have to change the belt every month. The 74" Gatorback is lined up very straight and the sides are not damaged, but there is significant dust. Will the dust stop after it is "broken in" or do belts really not do this??? Again my combo is a Billetflow 2.76 Non-slip (I think it is a non-slip, thats what I asked Sutton for), a Billetflow 100mm idler, and a 74" Gatorback. So do you think the dust will slow down and I am just being an impatient SOB :argue: , or am I gonna need a new belt soon? Thanks

Jason

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I agree with everyone else. Get a Gates and do away with the dust. On non slip uppers the Gatorbacks tend to have problems, and get eaten up fairly quick. My Gates belts with my RR upper have lasted around 8,000miles each until signs of wear (squeaking)

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
The belt you need for your combo is available at NAPA, part # K080740. As everybody already said, gatorback belts are not the best choice with non-slip pullies.

I had the exact same setup you have now and the belt I mentioned worked great with only a little belt dust. In fact the belt is still alive. VenomInside has it now for when he put's a 2.76 on his car.........if that day ever happens. :cool2:

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
gnxs said:
The belt you need for your combo is available at NAPA, part # K080740. As everybody already said, gatorback belts are not the best choice with non-slip pullies.

I had the exact same setup you have now and the belt I mentioned worked great with only a little belt dust. In fact the belt is still alive. VenomInside has it now for when he put's a 2.76 on his car.........if that day ever happens. :cool2:

Hey! That day will happen.. i am trying to get my car fixed [repainted] first.. Then I will let the modding begin..

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Gatorback Sucks?

I ordered the 4-piece Idler set + the non-slip pulley from Doug and have spent several weeks trying to find Gatorback belts. Since I bought several upper's for differrent driving needs I needed three different belts. Doug from Billetflow told be to stay away from Gates since it rides in the pulley differently and that a Gatorback was a better belt than a Gates. :confused:

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
It is not that the Gatorback sucks.... It is actually probably better gripping and makes some sweet as whistle noises, but they just seem to wear faster than the gates.

That's the first I have heard of Doug recommending against the gates.... interesting.

If you are still looking for the Gatorback, I think you can get them from south florida pulley hq.....

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
gnxs said:

I reiterate my statement above! :alcoholic

Many people use this belt with no problems. Use the gatorback at your own risk. :dunno: :argue:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info