• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help With Wheel Hop PLEASE!!!!!

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
Hey Guys Im Dj I rarely post anything up here im 16 and have a 99 cobra vert. i must say wheel hop is annyoing and dangerous. basically i just got done puttin in the k&n cai and i took it out for a test run. i whipped it out of the driveway into the street and the wheel hop rattled my ass off the road and went halfway into the ditch on the street. would a differential bushing help or should i just swap out the probably worn irs with a 03 solid rear end? i admit im a rookie at this and im guessing everyone at one point or another is. if anyone could give me and help on this and what i should do with this gay ass suspension please let me kno. thanks alot guys for taking the tyme to read this
DJ

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Cobra_DJ99 said:
Hey Guys Im Dj I rarely post anything up here im 16 and have a 99 cobra vert. i must say wheel hop is annyoing and dangerous. basically i just got done puttin in the k&n cai and i took it out for a test run. i whipped it out of the driveway into the street and the wheel hop rattled my ass off the road and went halfway into the ditch on the street. would a differential bushing help or should i just swap out the probably worn irs with a 03 solid rear end? i admit im a rookie at this and im guessing everyone at one point or another is. if anyone could give me and help on this and what i should do with this gay ass suspension please let me kno. thanks alot guys for taking the tyme to read this
DJ

Lots of things will help to reduce wheel hop, unfortunately it generally comes back as you add more horsepower. I'm not the expert on this but the following may help.

IRS Subframe Bushings MMIRSU-2
IRS Aluminum Differential Mounts MMIRSB-40
IRS Delrin Control Arm Bushings MMIRSB-1
Heavy Duty IRS Crossmember (99 ~ 02) M-5030-F
Stiffer/Lower rear springs
Drag Radials

I may be wrong, mostly going by what MM says and what others post. I am also in a wheel hop elimination project of my own. :alcoholic

Good luck. :biggthump

So are you saying that I'm not as much risk as these other guys as breaking a half shaft? And typically how much are they to get replaced? Someone mentioned about replacing the IRS with a solid axle. What would it cost/involve to get a solid axle and what would be the best setup for it? I have a friend who was a ford mechanic for about 10 years and he opened up his own performance shop so he's been helping me out as much as possible. He would do the work for me and I'd help out as much as possible. And do the 03's have a solid axle? Any ideas on where to get a solid axle?

Thanks!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
yoshis99_cobra said:
So are you saying that I'm not as much risk as these other guys as breaking a half shaft? And typically how much are they to get replaced? Someone mentioned about replacing the IRS with a solid axle. What would it cost/involve to get a solid axle and what would be the best setup for it? I have a friend who was a ford mechanic for about 10 years and he opened up his own performance shop so he's been helping me out as much as possible. He would do the work for me and I'd help out as much as possible. And do the 03's have a solid axle? Any ideas on where to get a solid axle?

Thanks!

Anybody can break a halfshaft. I helped replace one in the parking lot at Bowling Green when one of the guys broke his at the line. They usually break during wheel hop but not always. '03 Halfshafts are around $400. I'm not sure about '99s. To switch to a solid axle rear end, you need the solid axle rear end, new exhaust [different configuration], and possible upgrades depending on how much power you are going to be pushing through it. The easiest way to get a solid axle rear end is to find a GT guy who wants to swap the rear end and exhaust. Some of them would prefer an IRS. '03s have the IRS.

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
I was Considering Swapping out the gay ass old irs and putting the gt rear end on. I recently Broke Tha Haflshaft on it and its a fucking pain just seeing my car in the garage like that. right now its gonna have to sit like that cause im only 17 and have to wait to get the funds in there. ill probably go with the solid rear end. but i was originally going to get the irs suspension upgrade from steeda. if i get the solid rear end will i be able to get the 5 link suspenion i herd its the best if any of u know please let me kno im pissed at my car i might just fix it and trade it for a trans am ws6 cough cough im sorry im sick i ment 03-04 cobra

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info