• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just dropped the IRS - Suggestions Anyone?

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Started working on replacing the IRS subframe bushing. IRS did not want to go down in the rear and I found out my Bilstiens had to be disconnected (Doesn't mention that in MM installation instructions). Then I used the walk out the bushing with the drill bit trick only to snap two drill bits. So I said screw it and lowered the whole thing so I can burn the bushings out. Hopefully I won't need a permit cause it seems like you need a permit for everything here! :joke:

Anyways, I found out I have the 12mm bolts instead of the 14mm even though I have a 2004 so I guess I will be buying some new bolts.

I need to move the IRS from the garage to the lawn/sidewalk/street to burn out the bushings. I was thinking of using a set of those low profile creepers they use for moving some furniture. Anyone know where I can get a set?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mystic Terminator said:
Started working on replacing the IRS subframe bushing. IRS did not want to go down in the rear and I found out my Bilstiens had to be disconnected (Doesn't mention that in MM installation instructions). Then I used the walk out the bushing with the drill bit trick only to snap two drill bits. So I said screw it and lowered the whole thing so I can burn the bushings out. Hopefully I won't need a permit cause it seems like you need a permit for everything here! :joke:

Anyways, I found out I have the 12mm bolts instead of the 14mm even though I have a 2004 so I guess I will be buying some new bolts.

I need to move the IRS from the garage to the lawn/sidewalk/street to burn out the bushings. I was thinking of using a set of those low profile creepers they use for moving some furniture. Anyone know where I can get a set?

If a cop comes by, just tell him the truth. You are burning the bushings out of your rear end. Should get a laugh.

Check with places that rent trucks or tool rental places. They may be able to rent you a pair of dollies. There are a couple of places over by my shop. One tool rental place and one truck rental place. If you need extra muscle to move it, let me know.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
dun4791 said:
no die grinder with compressor or dremel ? Then how about taking a hack saw blade and cutting it? If you need a hand ill be staying home tomorrow to get started on my clutch give me a call

I got a dremel but it clogs up quick with the rubber. No compressor as of yet, its on my list one of these days. I may wait until I pick up some something from work.

The burning the bushing trick seemed to work for this guy.

19tlvm

Just not working for me :mad:

Thanks for the offers of help, I may take you up on it. :)

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Just think, getting the old bushings out is only half the fun.

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=349&highlight=bushing+install

You will never get the bit to "walk" around subframe. Use bigger drill bits and drill like 8 holes in the bushing and pull it out 1 chunk at a time with a needle nose pliers or small vise grips. I dug it out with pliers and a screwdriver and pulled it out piece by piece.

Good luck- you're in the middle of a terrible project! :(

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Just think, getting the old bushings out is only half the fun.

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=349&highlight=bushing+install

You will never get the bit to "walk" around subframe. Use bigger drill bits and drill like 8 holes in the bushing and pull it out 1 chunk at a time with a needle nose pliers or small vise grips. I dug it out with pliers and a screwdriver and pulled it out piece by piece.

Good luck- you're in the middle of a terrible project! :(

LOL! That sounds encouraging. :D

Now that you mention is, I remember other guys also using the drill and pick apart method.

BLK_03

Trying Every Power Adder
Oct 19, 2004
I don't know if you got this done yet...but this is how I did it...

Please excuse the crap-ass drawings...just something quick

I first drilled holes through the bushings, 3 to 4 between each break in the bushing ( holes to drill in red ). Use a small bit (it goes through much easier) and work your way up in bit size until one hole meets the other. Drill straight, you don't want to muck up the bushing carriers too much...

bushing.bmp

I next used a saw placed through the holes I just made and "connected the dots" so to speak using the saw. Once the holes were connected, the middle of the bushing pressed right out by hand, leaving a few scraps of rubber around the inside. I next used some old flat head screwdrivers and a hammer to scrape the majority of what was left out. Then, a wire wheel w/ a drill to remove the rest of the bonded bushing...

bushing2.bmp

If you need some help installing the new ones, let me know. I figured something out that had them in in literally 5 minutes.

BLK_03

Trying Every Power Adder
Oct 19, 2004
I just got done searching all over the garage for the PVC couplers I used. Was gonna take a pic. Found another pic that explains it better...

A-Bushings.jpg

I believe it's a 1.5" coupler. Take one of the bushings to lowe's w/ you and go to the plumbing/PVC section. Get the PVC piece that allows the bushing to JUST fit inside. Grab a couple big flat washers while your there so the small ends of the c-clamp don't mess up the bushing as you press it in.

The key to the installment of the new bushings is making sure you remove ALL and I repeat ALL of the stock bushing. If there is even the slightest remnant of bushing in that carrier when you go to install the new bushing, it will bind, and you will be gritting the crap out of your teeth trying to turn the c-clamp. And don't forget the grease that MM supplies. Lube everything.

BLK_03

Trying Every Power Adder
Oct 19, 2004
You serious stupid? :D J/K

The point is, the IRS gives CRAZY wheel hop under certain conditions. Replacing the stock IRS bushings w/ polyurethane bushings of a higher durometer HELPS to MINIMIZE the wheel hop.

Those who get completely frustrated with it switch to a solid rear. But fugg that, an IRS and 6 spd stays on my car...no matter what power.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Of course I'm NOT that stupid, I guess that's just my way of saying SOMEBODY fell for a lot of worthless work without any guaranty of sucess.

I looked at that, and I didn't buy or should I say "fall" for it. No offense here but I just didn't see it as worth it and when I think of dragging car parts into the street to burn shit off I had to laugh.

Wheel hop pisses me off to know end, but only when it's wet, or cold does it happen, and I bet it still happens with those bushings. IT NEVER HAPPENED IN MY 93 VETTE, but it was only a 300HP pussy automatic, go figure.

MM couldn't promise to "me" it was worth it so I feel bad for the guy doing all this work, as well as you too for that matter. The one thing that definately sucks about these cars is the IRS, so I wait a little longer to take it out, and I put it away as soon as it's to cool out, I can't imagine living with it as a daily driver, I'm sure I would have filled a visa card with a live axle bill had I needed it every day.

BLK_03

Trying Every Power Adder
Oct 19, 2004
Don't feel sorry for me bro...it was just some quality time spent with the girl. I knew going into it that the results would be minimal with the bushings. To be honest, I was bored with the car and had done as much warranty-friendly stuff as possible. At the time, a lot were doing this mod and it sparked my interest. It did not eliminate ALL of the hop. But it DID help. Would I do it again? Sure. Already have. Installed some on a buddies car, and now Hank is trying to sucker me into doing his...

You don't have to pull the entire IRS out and set it on fire, lol. Just drop it a little. You have to / is easier to install springs this way as well (which I did at the same time), so I figured fugg it, do the bushings at the same time.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Aluminum bushings are starting to get some support. I recently read a thread on modfords where some of the recognizable name/long time owner guys were saying they prefer aluminum over polyurethane because the polyurethane can deform from the heat in the rear end. The question in my mind is how much worse would the ride be with aluminum instead of polyurethane.

BLK_03

Trying Every Power Adder
Oct 19, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Aluminum bushings are starting to get some support. I recently read a thread on modfords where some of the recognizable name/long time owner guys were saying they prefer aluminum over polyurethane because the polyurethane can deform from the heat in the rear end. The question in my mind is how much worse would the ride be with aluminum instead of polyurethane.

But I believe that is with diff bushings...not IRS bushings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I read Polyurethane is ideal for IRS bushings. Aluminum is preferred for Differential and Delrin for UCA/LCA. I came accross a good thread for the bushing removal AFTER I already started my project and was well along my way. I figured I would go the MM way and do what they say. It was a mistake and I see the drill/coping saw method is ideal.

Although the IRS bushings may be time consuming, it is a low cost mod. A lot of snow on the ground and the F1's do not do well in the snow.

Also this mod will encourage you to replace your 12mm forward IRS carrier bolts with the 14mm ones. :biggthump

Thanks BLK_03

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I sure hope the 07 is OK, I want IRS, but I may go live axle.
I'd have an axle now if I didn't want this new body and an 07.

It's funny to me to poke fun at dragging parts into the street in order to burn parts off. That's the only reason I responded. LOL

Kenny Brown tried to get me to spend 500.00 on new lower control arms and I turned them down, too much money.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info